Author Topic: Camote selection NZ  (Read 56 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Camote selection NZ
« on: 2022-06-21, 10:44:41 PM »
Because I cant seen to post a photo in the old thread I thought best to start a new one.

The new varieties have up to the shortest day been in the unheated tunnelhouse, some were looking to flash, so inside they go sitting in a north facing window. Four have kicked the bucket which is probably a good thing, weeds out the weak.
« Last Edit: 2022-06-21, 10:49:57 PM by Richard Watson »
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Re: Camote selection NZ
« Reply #1 on: 2022-06-22, 04:08:15 PM »
Even though this fasciated seedling started oof without a growth tip and that it ended up three months later busting out the side of the stem, it seems to have handled the first winter month in the tunnelhouse well
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Camote selection NZ
« Reply #2 on: 2022-06-23, 06:22:51 AM »
I direct planted about 1000 seeds this year and have in the neighborhood of 20 or so of those where the true leaves did that exact thing. Some also had off numbers of cotyledons, as in more than one set of two, or odd numbers like 3 or 5 and in some cases the normal two cotyledons except that they were fused together. Some that are producing large numbers of bloom buds even before growing true leaves are fasciated. I don't know what to do with the really weird ones, if the traits they are showing is a good or a bad thing.

I also have 200 + that are growing normally as well as developing bloom buds and showing bushy growth habit. I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do is to put all the freaky ones together, semi-isolated from the others in case these anomalies are somehow bad. I can watch their continued development this year and see what happens with their seeds next year.