Author Topic: Galahad F1 resistance genes  (Read 284 times)

Roland

• View Profile
Galahad F1 resistance genes
« on: 2022-05-16, 12:56:25 PM »
@William, Where dit u find Purple Zebra is homozygous for ph3?
For what i know its heterozygous for ph2 and ph3.
Netherlands

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Re: F1s for the People!
« Reply #1 on: 2022-05-16, 01:42:57 PM »
Roland I was working from memory and am pretty sure I got Galahad and Purple Zebra confused.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Roland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2022-05-16, 02:26:16 PM »
With dna testing Galahad F1 seems homozygous for ph2 and ph3. Ask the breeder.
Netherlands

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2022-05-16, 04:04:46 PM »
With dna testing Galahad F1 seems homozygous for ph2 and ph3. Ask the breeder.

"Galahad is my new tomato hybrid released for this growing season. It's related to Damsel (my first commercial tomato) and Mountain Merit. It's a determinate beefsteak and has R genes against Verticillium, Fusarium (3 races), Nematode, Stemphylium, Tomato spotted wilt virus, Late Blight and appears to have good horizontal resistance against early blight and bacterial spot. I wanted to make this hybrid homozygous PH3 for a higher level of late blight resistance, which was tough to combine with SW5 because they're linked on chromosome 9 and required a rare recombinant to put them in coupling phase. It took a lot of work but I finally got it in a line I was happy with. It's not perfect - a plant breeder's work is never done - but I believe it's a good step forward and a significant improvement in flavor compared to other tomatoes in that class. The fruit is soft and not uniform ripening. Certified organic seed available now from multiple retailers" Jason Cavatorta April 20 2020 Facebook.

Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Roland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2022-05-17, 12:18:16 AM »
It is not described there that Galahad does not have the ph2 gene.
So you will have to look deeper for the ph2 gene in Galahad F1.
Netherlands

William S.

• View Profile
Re: F1s for the People!
« Reply #5 on: 2022-05-17, 06:23:13 AM »
I asked Jason about the PH3 and PH2 homozygosity he said yes that both parents have resistance. I left it at that but he never said precisely for PH2.

Roland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2022-05-19, 11:46:05 AM »
Jason told me Galahad F1 is homozygous for both ph2 and ph3.
A friend told me that Mannon Gallegly told him West Virginia ’17A (Mountaineer Pride) is open polinated and homozygous for both ph2 and ph3.

West Virginia ’17A (Mountaineer Pride) is a inbreeding line from the cors West virginia 63 (homozygous ph2) x Iron Lady (homozygous ph2 and ph3).

« Last Edit: 2022-05-19, 11:48:53 AM by Roland »
Netherlands