Author Topic: OSSI Webinar 2 - Wednesday, May 11, Mazourek and Frost and Cucurbits and More!  (Read 305 times)

jrkloppe

• View Profile
    • Email
OSSI Friends,
Join us on Wednesday, May 11, 7:00-8:30pm EST (6-7:30pm CST, 5-6:30pm MST, 4-5:30pm PST), for the second session of the new OSSI Webinar series. See the bottom of this message for video and phone links.

"Combining Cucurbits for Downy Mildew Resistance and More"

Michael Mazourek (Cornell University) and Edmund Frost (Common Wealth Seed Growers)

image.png
image.png

Edmund and Michael work on cucurbit breeding projects in their regions for disease resistance, often by making wide crosses that are uncommon in the mainstream breeding establishment. Perhaps that is their advantage? In addition, the nature of their collaboration - between a university breeder/geneticist and an independent breeder/farmer - allows them to share unique insights with each other.

Michael Mazourek is the Calvin Knoyes Keeney Associate Professor of Vegetable Breeding at Cornell University. Michael is a breeder of peas, beans, squash, cucumbers and peppers and has released numerous cultivars and breeding materials that are shared by small, regional seed companies. Michael shares the craft of plant breeding with students at Cornell, through grower conferences and field days. Michael is a pro-bono co-founder of Row 7 Seeds which is helping public and freelance plant breeders share their creations with a public that seeks choice and diversity in their food.

Edmund Frost has been growing vegetable seed crops in Virginia since 2007. In the past several years he has become increasingly involved in research, breeding and selection work, especially focused on Cucurbit crops, and on resistance to Cucurbit Downy Mildew. In 2014 he helped start Common Wealth Seed Growers, a farm-based seed company and cooperative of several seed growers from Virginia and Tennessee. See commonwealthseeds.com/research for more about the work Edmund and Common Wealth Seed Growers are doing to identify and develop regionally suited and regionally adapted varieties.

Join us for a stimulating conversation between these two breeders!

To attend online with video, simply click on the "Join Zoom Meeting" link below.
Or, you can join by phone (audio alone) by dialling in the number of the location closest to you.

Jack Kloppenburg is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: OSSI webinar with Michael Mazourek and Edmund Frost
Time: May 11, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87484481829?pwd=SHhVdWU3ZWQweWIvZlBZUTd2QnpMZz09

Meeting ID: 874 8448 1829
Passcode: 074749
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,87484481829#,,,,*074749# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,87484481829#,,,,*074749# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 874 8448 1829
Passcode: 074749
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kRcpGbrJO

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
Replying to bump this since it's today.

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
I started watching it, then decided to go plant some things! I guess I will watch it later when it comes out on video. The first part was interesting though, I am glad I don't get powdery mildew that bad- I think maybe I need some of those cucumber genetics in case it hits here. I planted some squash tonight but I have my cucumbers sorted as well.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
My side of the border in the PNW everything is covered by powdery mildew by August. It's nice not to have it up here.

I seem to plant whatever they're talking about during the webinars; tomatoes last one, pickling cucumbers (and a couple odds and ends) this one. I seem to have lost my field cuke seed vault between upstairs and downstairs this evening, sadly.  That's probably ok, as long as I have enough to make pickles I'll be happy.

nathanp

• View Profile
    • Kenosha Potato Project - Facebook page