Author Topic: EFN Flower Question  (Read 311 times)

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
EFN Flower Question
« on: 2022-04-10, 01:39:24 AM »
I'm not sure if this fits here, but as we seem to have no folder for flower breeding, this is the best I appear to be able to do

While going over the EFN's new offerings it noticed this one ([url]https://store.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/collections/everything/products/johnny-jumpup[/url)].

While I have no doubt that what is being offered is indeed Viola cornuta , and that it is wild type, I'm not sure if it can properly be called Johnny-Jump up. If I recall Johnny-Jump up is reserved for Viola tricolor (also known as Heartsease), and has to have the characteristic flower pattern (purple top petals yellow lower petals with purple-black stripes).

Am I wrong on this?

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
Re: EFN Flower Question
« Reply #1 on: 2022-04-10, 11:34:51 AM »
While I am new to the world of flowers and flower breeding, including the world of Pansies / Violets / Violas, I think you are correct.

That flower color is not appropriate for the term "johnny jump up" from what little i know. I think that would more appropriately be called a pansy of some sort. But I am not an expert by any means.

I am attempting to germinate these this year: https://parkseed.com/bunny-ears-viola-seeds/p/52353-PK-P1/

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2022-04-10, 01:00:40 PM »
They are cute.  Some people eat pansies, but I can't eat a flower with a face.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2022-04-10, 01:12:38 PM »
While I am new to the world of flowers and flower breeding, including the world of Pansies / Violets / Violas, I think you are correct.

That flower color is not appropriate for the term "johnny jump up" from what little i know. I think that would more appropriately be called a pansy of some sort. But I am not an expert by any means.

I am attempting to germinate these this year: https://parkseed.com/bunny-ears-viola-seeds/p/52353-PK-P1/

Not bad. Sort of look like skinny members of the extended Johnny family (I consider everything from the white centered and pale purple centered all the way up to the orange centered "Jolly Joker" to be parts of that extended color family.)

That also bring up another point, the seeds being offered by EFN are the wrong SHAPE as well, Johnny's are sort of an forked inverted triangle (actually, with their five petals placed where they are, an inverted pentagram might be an accurate, if somewhat diabolical description.) That round shape is more pansy than viola.

MY personal annual viola quest is the hunt for the rarely found red viola. For reasons I have never been all that clear on, while red is a very common color in full size pansies, it is very, very rare in the smaller violas. I just managed to find maybe three or four today after going through a nursery's worth of flats. And even THOSE aren't the exact one I am actually looking for (red edges, black central marks, viola size and shape.)