Author Topic: Our Weather 2022  (Read 2325 times)

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
Re: Our Weather 2022
« Reply #75 on: 2022-08-06, 01:49:48 PM »
Always not rains but temperature more low: 28°C 82,4°F with fresh wind and 12°C 53,6°F tomorrow morning and 29°C 84,2°F the afternoon.We can finaly breath the night.

We have a field in permaculture or we grow in salads aragula (diplotaxis tenuifolia) and chards.They sow themself alone each year and they look more and more resistants.

In herbs we grow,
Oregano, thyme,rosmarin,sage,differents minths and pulmonary.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-06, 02:22:06 PM by Adrian »

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #76 on: 2022-08-06, 04:03:57 PM »
Adrian, the 70X40 foot garden on the west of my home is a perennial herb permaculture from close to 30 years, they are mostly european and all introduced here herbs including thyme, sage, hyssop, yellow gentian, oregano, mallow, elecampane, agrimony, mother of thyme, lady's bedstraw, speedwells (native and introduced), betony, allheal (Prunella), lavender, St. Johnswort , potentillas, mugwort, tansy, roses, chives, shallot multipliers and others.  This garden has gone decades without any watering or care, it is very firm in the ground.  Of course there are some native plants in the mix including the wild strawberries that survived our winter without snow. 

I noticed this very dry year that the only place I saw plants  suffering from drought in the herb garden was a bed I had rebuilt and replanted, with some bare soil.   Only much later into the drought and extreme heat and UV I saw stress on others.   Permaculture is certainly a key approach to a future agriculture with climate uncertainty.

Garlic really suffered here, I'm not sure what is worse the dry winter with no snow, or the cold dry spring, or the crazy hot summer.  I got a few 'normal' size bulbs to replant but our crop overall is very small.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #77 on: 2022-08-06, 09:14:15 PM »
I'm very impressed by a salad bed of chard and arugula that can withstand those high temperatures and still produce edible salads!

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 06:58:25 PM »
Our problem here is far too much rain, just over halfway through the year and we have nearly doubled the average, the garden is half under water because the water table is at the surface like whats seen in the photo of our driveway, that water has been sitting for weeks, and the snow is the first in 5 years.

Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle