Author Topic: Our Weather 2022  (Read 2464 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Our Weather 2022
« Reply #30 on: 2022-05-20, 02:52:50 AM »
Several cold nights in a row here. Delaying planting of more frost sensitive transplants.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #31 on: 2022-05-20, 04:24:41 AM »
Up to 32°C 89,6°F and 17°C 62,6°F the night this week.
We wait thunderstorms.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2022-05-20, 04:30:00 AM »
Been hovering around 90F for several days here and very dry. Finally, a little rain two days ago and everything started popping up. Rounds of hard downpours with a bit of hail mixed in last night. The woman here has a big collection of peonies that are in full bloom; I haven't been out to look yet but am sure most will be ruined.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
« Reply #33 on: 2022-05-25, 07:02:21 AM »
I looked out my window and I see that it rained and there are puddles. I went to check rainfall amounts on Weather.gov and there aren't any. They no longer record the weather at the small local airport. Weather underground doesn't have it either. I noticed years ago that there are a wide variety of weather stations that are weather underground compatible. Sort of expensive though.

I wonder if in the past there a rain gage at the airport and some dedicated volunteer who checked it? Or maybe there was an automated gage. My grandpa used to just put a small one out in his front lawn and check it himself. Maybe I should do the same.

Edit: I bought a rain gauge for $4 from the local hardware store. There is a big storm coming Thursday night and Friday so I should get a chance to see how well it works.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-25, 02:23:43 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Randy Simmons

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: 2022-05-26, 03:11:13 PM »
It was warmer earlier in the month so I planted most of what I want to grow on May 8th.  Then we had the derecho and last Saturday night/Sunday morning it was 33 degrees.  I was very fortunate to not lose any plants either time.  We've had weather in the 40's/50's for almost a week now.  Most things are still growing, if very slowly.  Strangely, my Cajun Jewel okra saved from last year's seed has grown in spite of the cool weather.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2022-05-27, 03:10:46 PM »
We will have a week-end with very frosts nights : 4°C 39,2°F at the most frost placement of the france.
6°C 42,8°F for us and 18°C 64,4°F the day after period of nights up to 17°C 62,6°C mid may.

I have hear that Denver has lost 33°C in 24 hours:32 89,6°F to -1°C 30,2°F with snow.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-27, 04:18:24 PM by Adrian »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2022-05-27, 04:16:40 PM »
My new rain gauge got its first trial today. Though this morning I noticed that weather.gov said about 0.3 of an inch fell last night and the rain gauge had about 0.3 of an inch in it. So the weather service still works I guess!?

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2022-06-05, 02:06:24 PM »
It seems like it has been really rainy today, yesterday, and Friday but my new rain gauge shows less than a centimeter of accumulation.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #38 on: 2022-06-07, 04:55:04 PM »
It finally warmed up here. It's been cool but relatively dry, so I was glad to get a good rain to settle the soil after my first round of tilling. It's supposed to rain again Thursday but in the meantime it's scorching hot (for here) and I end up retreating to my basement out of our big summer sun and heat over the afternoon. They've forecast a cool year but if it keeps up just like this we'll be fine.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #39 on: 2022-06-07, 04:56:40 PM »
A rain gauge seems like a wonderful thing to have. Hm. I'm far enough out of the lake/rock influence in town that the forecast rarely is accurate here anyhow.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2022-06-10, 09:57:28 AM »
Just left my garden due to rain. Supposed to rain all weekend (I get three days) perhaps with two inches of rain. If it weren't raining I think I would have rototilled and hoed all day.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2022-06-14, 10:17:49 PM »
Rain is about to end for a few days. It was so cold today I wore my winter coat. It is supposed to warm up considerably to about 80 by Friday.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2022-06-15, 07:53:20 AM »
We will have a heatwave up to  36°C 96,8°F the day and 20°C 68°F the night this week.
30°C 68°F today
« Last Edit: 2022-06-15, 08:09:35 AM by Adrian »

Randy Simmons

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: 2022-06-15, 08:43:08 AM »
Mid to upper 80's this week.  Watered my bucket tomatoes last night after work and woke up to rain this morning.  It's supposed to be 100+/- all weekend here.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #44 on: 2022-06-15, 03:43:40 PM »
So far it's been mainly a cool and late spring for us, with a few July-hot days thrown in for spice.  Trees leafed out late and pin cherry and chuckleberry are just now flowering.  Currants leafed out before flowering, which I hadn't seen before - they are still in flower now.  Strawberries are flowering.  Rhubarb is big enough to cut.   Frost advisory tonight, nothing unusual for us in mid June, alas.   I have some grains at the jointed stage, hopefully they won't be bothered by the low.  I had patchy losses in sowing this april, probably or most likely due to the cold and frosts when seedlings were quite small.  Not sure why so patchy but there it is, affecting all to some extent except for the spelts.
We have a string of warm days (20C +) in the forecast and some more at 16C+ which may really get some growth happening.