Author Topic: Our Weather 2022  (Read 2461 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Our Weather 2022
« Reply #15 on: 2022-02-27, 07:53:45 AM »
Our cold spell has ended here. Temperatures will be above freezing again except at night. Apricot trees rarely have a good year here.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #16 on: 2022-04-04, 01:27:50 PM »
We don't will have lot of cherrys this year: it was frost at -5°C during thein flowered.A second bad year for fruits trees.
« Last Edit: 2022-04-04, 01:30:38 PM by Adrian »

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2022-04-04, 01:50:52 PM »
No cherry, no plum, no peach, no apricots, no pear ....
And damages on kaki, actinidia, ...

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #18 on: 2022-04-11, 10:16:12 AM »
We had such a warm March, but it's snowed every day in April -- lightly, gone just in time for the next snow, but still. Clear, sunny, and -10C at night. The aspens are all catkinning and the saskatoon buds are starting to get furry and consider opening. At least the pig field/trial field is starting to dry out, I can almost walk in it without losing my boots.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #19 on: 2022-04-11, 12:13:44 PM »
That's brutal for the fruit trees.. 
I have some hazelnuts here that are threatening to bloom catkins soon, and that's not good for them.  Lots of frost to come.
Many of the trees I planted 20 years ago are maladapted to this climate one way or another.  Some bloom too early.  Others leaf out so late, they barely have time to grow.
Late flowering genetics would be a boon for nuts and fruits here.

We also have had a cool April so far, with dustings of snow and freezing rain or drizzle, not much sunshine at all.  Running a few degrees below "normals" or "averages", and still too cool and wet to plant grains.  Looking for 3 days with min/max average at least 2C, or at least a dry thaw instead of the incessant fog and precip with freezing nights.  Way too wet to do anything to the ground, but it does seem to have thawed it all the same.
The ground froze quite deeply this winter due to having repeatedly thaws with rain and then plummeting to -10C within the day.  Very scant occasional snow cover is all we got.   

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2022-04-11, 12:23:37 PM »
Ibrhink we can save cherry but it damn for peach and apricot.
Start of april it was frost at -5°C.It was frost up to -9°C in france in marne departement. For rhe most early grappes it also not terrible.
« Last Edit: 2022-04-11, 12:25:11 PM by Adrian »

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #21 on: 2022-04-11, 08:33:18 PM »
High of 33 F tomorrow or 0.55 C. Low tonight of 22 F or -5.55 C.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #22 on: 2022-04-11, 10:45:21 PM »
High of 33 F tomorrow or 0.55 C. Low tonight of 22 F or -5.55 C.
I take it you wont be have your tomatoes outside yet    ;)

Just picked my third bucket of tomatoes, being a great year in the end because the wet summer meant there was plenty of tucker around for the black birds so that they didnt bother with the unnetted Rangi tomato cuttings, some of the F2 plants have been amazingly productive.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

clweeks

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 3b
« Reply #23 on: 2022-04-12, 04:27:09 AM »
The snow is pretty far along the way to melting. Nearly half the open ground is now clear, but I also have beds with four inches of crusty ice atop the mulch. The melt is maybe 3 weeks later than last year. It's getting above freezing almost every day but freezes almost every night. We've had a bit of snow and/or rain almost every day for the past week and a half.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #24 on: 2022-04-12, 09:40:29 AM »
-12C for the next week and enough wind that everything in my yard that wasn't tied down is blown hard against the fence and it's staying there till the wind stops. The ground is refrozen and it's freezing deeper every day.

This is why I do indoor gardening I guess.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #25 on: 2022-04-12, 07:22:46 PM »
Speaking of indoor gardening, the temperatures in unheated attached greenhouse have been abysmal.  I have a ton of tomato seedlings under small lights that really want to be potted up and get some real sunshine.  But drizzle and fog do not make for greenhouse cheer.  Days that start at 42F and peak at 45 F are not tomato degree days. They are miserable enough in the cold basement, I see no point in putting them out in those conditions.
Started too early, hoping for a break that we didn't get.
It's a shame because they are right at the point where potting up would give them a real head start, but there's nowhere to put them all in bigger pots...

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #26 on: 2022-04-13, 10:23:37 AM »
I hear you on the poor early tomatoes. My breeders were started early and have suffered the indignity of a haircut because I didn't have enough room to raise their shelves anymore. I had hoped to be putting them outside for the day at this point too, but as you say it needs to be above freezing for that.

Randy Simmons

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2022-04-15, 12:32:23 PM »
It was 40-50 mph winds all week here and 20+/- temps at night.  Finally getting a break from the wind today.  We're supposed to get into the 60's next week.  Hoping for an early May planting this year.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2022-05-14, 12:32:35 AM »
We have had the first day at 30°C 86°F this week in france.

At a few placements in NW of the france it so dry that they must watered peas, beets corn and potato.It became worrying.We are just mid may.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-14, 12:45:16 AM by Adrian »

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #29 on: 2022-05-19, 09:19:41 PM »
Pridicted to get anywhere between 3" - 12" of snow in the next day or so.