Author Topic: Our Weather 2022  (Read 2466 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Our Weather 2022
« on: 2022-02-10, 06:40:02 AM »
Got above 50 F yesterday. Hoping to plant some Fava beans today. Ground is bare enough in the gardens.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Our Weather 2022
« Reply #1 on: 2022-02-10, 07:20:13 AM »
We have been experiencing a nice cold spell. Stayed below freezing for a week. We've even had some snow cover, well actually sleet and ice with a little bit of snow on top. It's starting to melt off now and I see a few green leaves of my brassica plants sticking out. YEA! it looks like a few are going to make it!

clweeks

• View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 3b
« Reply #2 on: 2022-02-10, 01:14:16 PM »
This past Tuesday it got a smidge above freezing for a few hours. That's the first since the new year. We've got about 14 inches of snow settled in. What with the warm weather (it only got down to 5 overnight) and the lengthening days, it's starting to feel like spring is in the air. Hopefully this summer will be moister than last.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #3 on: 2022-02-11, 05:41:50 AM »
At this point, we have had the least amount of snow on record for this time of year.  I'd say we are heading for drought in July and August, for the lack of February snow.
We had more than normal precip in January, but it was mainly rain storms with SE gales.  Never seen so many SE gales in winter.  The rain associated has been really heavy too, heavy enough to fill my catchments at least twice, and caused some flooding elsewhere, followed by deep freezing. 
We have had more and longer thaws with very cold freezing days in between, sometimes without snow cover.
Definitely a challenging winter for garlic.  We're currently in a 5 day run of temperatures above freezing.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #4 on: 2022-02-13, 10:09:10 PM »
Turning out to be a very wet summer here with no extreme temperatures, hasn't been a cold summer either. To have green grass for the whole summer has not happened in my lifetime, just crazy.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2022-02-15, 11:38:53 AM »
We've been in a cold spell but seems to be ending, but there is still some ice here and there. It hasn't been terribly cold, just one or two nights close to zero F but mostly not much below 20 F. Forecast for next several days calls for highs up to 60 F and staying above freezing at night. I'm gonna get a couple of cold frames out and ready, maybe go ahead and put some seeds in to start.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #6 on: 2022-02-15, 02:33:20 PM »
It's unclear what's going on here. We had a quick hard cold before the snow came (-30 to -34C for a couple days), then a bunch of warm, then finally snow and a really long cold spell (+/- -30C for three weeks solid), but it's been above freezing more days than not now for awhile. Between the warm and the wind our snow cover is down a couple feet, maybe only a foot and a half left to go. I think snowpack was dead on our yearly average, so that's nice.

Probably a rough winter on perennials and especially woody perennials given that quick cold spike, a real long cold spell, and now warm enough that the haskaps are looking like they want to wake up. It'll definitely knock back the bugs. We will likely have a few more cold spells left and everything that's considering waking up will be nipped back, but it's sure feeling like spring is coming here. I'm really looking forward to seeing some kind of dirt as the snow retreats.

Maybe I should shovel my way out to the greenhouse and toss down some greens, and see if my broccoli raab has started thinking about sprouting. Maybe I'll toss a few favas into the pots on the deck.

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #7 on: 2022-02-15, 03:00:02 PM »
We have great sweetness.
We have been frost up to -6°C 21,2°F 2 times this winter.
February is sweet.
We will have temperatures between 4°C 39,2°F and 10°C 50°F the night and between 9°C 48,2°F and 15°C 59°F the nexts days.It oftrn bad sign for the fruits trees a end of winter too sweet beacause it can frost up to may.I feel we will have a stranger season.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-15, 03:07:49 PM by Adrian »

ThomatoGarden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2022-02-19, 05:19:11 AM »
Weather: Bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udr70XlGtfA

No Tomatoes from the Foil Tunnel this year :-(

Tim DH

• Yorkshire UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 8
« Reply #9 on: 2022-02-19, 07:11:26 AM »
Sorry to see that Thomas. ... Let's hope 2022 is a good year for outdoor tomatoes!

Tim DH

William Schlegel

• View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
« Reply #10 on: 2022-02-19, 08:59:47 AM »
A week of cold weather coming here. Maybe the coldest of the winter. Tuesday night may get down to -7 F = (-7°F − 32) × 5/9 = -21.67°C

It is nice today high of 48 F = (48°F − 32) × 5/9 = 8.889°C  so I need to get some supplies. Perhaps some pellets for the pellet stove and maybe a new electric space heater to replace one in the basement that has started to emit a burning odor which doesn't seem good.

Fighting the urge to start some tomato plants too early! 
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #11 on: 2022-02-19, 12:17:37 PM »
Had a 193mm - 7.59 in of rain this month, average is around 40-50mm, may get over 200mm which is rare for any month here. Hasn't been a good pumpkin season, 60 plants and only 10 fruit which is enough for this household but non to give away.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-19, 12:19:11 PM by Richard Watson »
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #12 on: 2022-02-19, 02:49:24 PM »
In the past week we had over 40 cm of snow and looking like winter for a few days.  Then temperatures soared to 11C, SW winds last night at 80 kph for hours gusting very hard and long to at least 113 kph, and enough heavy rain to strip away every bit of snow before the flash freeze overnight. 
Even the small pea trellis with sturdy bracing tried to take a walk across the yard, prevented only by a clothesline.  ::)  One of the big trellises that was blown over by the SE gale is now standing up again.  :o
I believe this study is complete....  all future pea trellises shall be built upon goodly tree stumps.
Meanwhile the forecast looks like a similar pattern continues with major rain or snow alternating every four days or so.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2022-02-22, 07:34:32 AM »
-5F = (-5°F − 32) × 5/9 = -20.56°C here at the moment according to weather underground and Google's built-in conversion calculator. This weather system is affecting much of North America.

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #14 on: 2022-02-27, 07:01:25 AM »
Oh no apricots trees will soon open their flowers in one or two weeks :'( It can frost up to may
« Last Edit: 2022-02-27, 07:04:11 AM by Adrian »