Author Topic: Biodiversity loss in plants article  (Read 340 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Biodiversity loss in plants article
« on: 2021-12-18, 11:30:46 AM »
https://www.sciencealert.com/we-re-losing-unique-flowers-around-the-world-as-invasive-plants-take-over/amp

I've been a botany professional my entire adult life.

I could travel to any continent and know a lot of the plants because of what this article is talking about.

The article mentions blackberries in Australia but here in the U.S. There are invasive and native blackberries often growing side by side. Sometimes they cross. Similarly there are native and non-native apples and they cross.

Some species like Salsify Tragopogon porrifolius are both vegetables and invasive species with invasive relatives.

Other very useful plants are native.

Some useful native plants have the potential to be wiped out by this homogenization.

In my area the local indigenous people ate a diet of entirely native flora and fauna not very long ago.

My point is that this homogenization is not a good thing for the future of human food on earth.

How bad it is I'm not sure. Probably much worse in Australia than North America. Degree of isolation before the homogenization matters.

I think there is potential for human food even in highly type converted invasive plant communities. In fact some foraging books in places like California point this out explicitly.
« Last Edit: 2021-12-18, 11:32:33 AM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days