Author Topic: Regal Lily  (Read 186 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Regal Lily
« on: 2021-12-15, 08:57:44 PM »
Didnt know where to put this topic being a lily, but thought you fella's might be interested in my selective breeding project involving the Regal. They have done really well this spring and have just opened in the last few days. What amazes me is a the number of flowers per plant, 50 on some. Also some have fasciated but still produced normal heads. Plans are to take seed from the best plants to produce more new bulbs and not from cloning scales or splitting up of the bulbs
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Regal Lily
« Reply #1 on: 2021-12-15, 09:03:04 PM »
Bit of a gloomy old day, first image didn't come out well
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-12-16, 03:08:43 AM »
Wow, those look great, although I've never heard of Regal Lily. I'll have to look up what they are.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
« Reply #3 on: 2021-12-16, 06:57:43 AM »
Richard, those are completely amazing! I think I have some of those and mine are a pale shadow of what you have achieved.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2021-12-16, 10:54:32 AM »
What interests me is that when you look on the WWW images for Regal lilies, all other photos show flower heads of up to 10 or so blooms. Why I'm getting up to 50 and compact also?. Ive got a seed saving group coming on Sunday, got a feeling they will be the center piece on the day, this big blob of white catches ya eye.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-12-16, 11:00:02 AM »
Wow, those look great, although I've never heard of Regal Lily. I'll have to look up what they are.
Called Christmas lilies here in NZ ( though they are two weeks early this year)

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-12-16, 01:35:56 PM »
I think I've seen those sold in the spring in pots and called Easter Lilies. The ones I've seen have far fewer flowers that are mostly white. I've never tried planting them in the ground or seem them growing in the ground. Don't know if they don't like it here or just nobody has tried.

If I remember right, you also grow gladiolas from seed? Let's see some pictures of them. They will grow here and contrary to popular opinion many are hardy.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2021-12-16, 05:48:16 PM »
Ive got slack on the gladiolas and only have one self sown red one left, its become a weed in asparagus bed, no way I could rid them.

If your ground doesn't freeze as deep as say 4cm they would be ok to grow where you are Mark, but the top are frost tender, I had to cover once during spring. 

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2021-12-17, 06:10:53 AM »
It often freezes well below 4cm here, -20C happens once in a while, -10 C is common, but gladiolas also often survive just fine. Most everything I read about them says they won't, but they do. The bulbs can grow as big around as baseballs with lots of little ones attached all around, but I've never tried to grow them form seed.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2021-12-17, 11:30:50 AM »
We are lucky to get frozen soil down past 1cm so the oriental lilies which tend to be shallow are not effected, gladiolas seem to sit deeper down