Author Topic: YouTube Channels  (Read 1116 times)

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
YouTube Channels
« on: 2021-10-26, 03:24:45 PM »
There appears to be a lack of videos on certain plant species being grown here.

I have started uploading videos to my YouTube page - this year it is just "End Of Year Garden Tour" and other small things.

Next year I will try and give an overview of certain Solanum species - other rare things. This will include information on the species as well.

For certain species, I may wait a bit and clip young plant overviews with older plants. This would give people a better idea of what to expect for species.

At the moment I am using a phone for my videos - the quality isn't the best. Also not editing them at the moment.

My Channel is "https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ExZE1E_Hm94uTSZgHXAtA".

Next year I may make a dedicated channel just for Gardening - Promiscuous Project, Breeding Projects in general.

If anyone else plans on doing the same thing, comment your channel here - I could make a playlist featuring species / hybrids grown by different people in the same playlist. This would work well for "grow reports".

I tend to speak in monotone and stutter or get sidetracked, I am actually quite excited about the things that I am talking about. I also speak pretty fast - I will try working on slowing down for these videos.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: YouTube Channels
« Reply #1 on: 2021-10-26, 06:51:30 PM »
I tuned in to that channel, and the speaker was pronouncing tomato the way that people in England do.  I was surprised because I thought you lived in the U.S.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2021-10-26, 07:27:30 PM »
I may be pronouncing things a bit differently due to talking to some British, Scottish people online. Probably some other influences as well.

I do live in the U.S., not the best speaker though. Mostly keep to myself.

Vesa Tee

• Southern Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2021-10-27, 07:00:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link to your channel here. It was a very good and interesting video. I haven’t seen these rare Solanum speaces earlier and enjoyed the tour a lot. Now I don’t need to grow them just for curiosity myself (unless I plan to actually use them, e.g. in crossings).  :D

You should start recording them more, absolutely! Having one video per plant species could help finding them more easily, especially if you named the video with a reference to the latin name. I am sure you could quite easily tell a lot more about these species, e.g. where they are from, what are the closest relatives in food plants, what makes them interesting to you, etc. It does not need to be very scientific even if you can share a personal story or perspective.

I am not planning a Youtube career myself but would be very glad in watching more of these types of recordings.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #4 on: 2021-10-31, 06:48:31 AM »
Very nice video Garrett - I wouldn't change a thing!  :)
Love those purple flowered solanaceae... very striking.   And woody stem is a trait I didn't expect to see.  Thanks for sharing.
I haven't done any videos but if I do in future, I'll post a link here.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-10-31, 10:01:34 AM »
Very nice video Garrett - I wouldn't change a thing!  :)
Love those purple flowered solanaceae... very striking.   And woody stem is a trait I didn't expect to see.  Thanks for sharing.
I haven't done any videos but if I do in future, I'll post a link here.

The purple flowered  solanaceae is Solanum laciniatum.

I will probably update the descriptions to include the species at some point. The fruits are said to be edible - though are described as "sickly sweet". The plants have firm stems and branches - resistant to high winds. Stem has become increasingly woody. Suppose peppers and tomatoes do this as well, but with smaller stems.

I'm growing jaltomata species, physalis species  - all sorts of things next year. Garden tour was pretty late in the season, so most everything was dead by then.

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2021-11-11, 08:56:33 PM »
Solanum laciniatum grows wild around here, local common name = Kangaroo apple. I'm looking at a 2mtre by 2 metre specimen as i write. grows really easily from cutting and seed. The fruits are edible, but need to be fully ripe before eating - the under-ripe ones are said to be poisonous - but haven't looked up the toxicology. Its a bit of a coloniser species - I've seen  it mass germinate after bushfire here. It grows incredibly quickly, and i've had individuals grow like mad, then keel over as though over extended, then resprout from the base. Its frost and drought hardy. I believe it was grown in the old USSR as a source of estrogen, I think.
GM

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2021-11-12, 06:19:39 AM »
Solanum opacum, greenberry nightshade is also a wild one where you are. I am actually quite fond of the taste of it's berries (like tiny, extra strong tomatoes). However it is hard to grow here. Not in the sense of being difficult to germinate, it comes up like crazy and produces just fine. It's just that it looks just like American nightshade (Solanun americanun) which grows wild here (and is spread by the birds so it can get anywhere). And ripe greenberries look just like unripe American berries, which are poisonous.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #8 on: 2021-12-03, 10:41:03 AM »
I've been meaning to write up my wheat trial but haven't done so yet; meanwhile this is my summer grain walkthrough (designed primarily for myself so it's pretty rambling) that I was going to pull some info from: https://youtu.be/cdOiUid5ALo

My channel is more farm than plant-based generally though, so that one video is probably the only relevant one.

Steph, this might be of interest?

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #9 on: 2021-12-03, 01:57:40 PM »
Greenie DeS - great video, thanks so much for posting that. :)  It was great to see so many other varieties in comparison to the couple that I grew.  Earliness is the big consideration for me - I tried triticale in a different year and it was just heading up when it was time to clear the bed for garlic planting, so way too late for a "normal cold" season - flax was too late that year as well, but barley (I believe it was Excelsior) was plenty early, except critters took the whole harvest and left me no seed.
Of the wheats I grew this year, Akmolinka gave twice the yield of Blue Tinge Ethiopian emmer but it was a week to two weeks later.  The emmer grain looks delicious though.  I grew Faust and Arabian Blue barley, planted later, they were still plenty early but again, animals got most of it.  One thing I learned is that these barleys will regrow and tiller again after being chowed down by a moose, and produced some late heads in spite of it.  The Faust seed was a couple of years old from a swap, it germinated pretty evenly but heading time was really uneven, some much later than others. 
Thanks again for sharing that video! :D

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #10 on: 2021-12-03, 02:30:27 PM »
Steph- excelsior was preferred by rodents for me. Prelude wheat was the earliest of all grains (available from prseeds.ca). Emmer is impossible to thresh. A lot of my barleys tillered such that they had big green heads that wouldn't quite ripen  by frost-- I think they pushed out all their tillers basically when I started irrigating regularly in midsummer. Wheat was more even.

My yield calculations are messed up by rodent/deer predation which is why I keep taking a run at writing up the trial and then stalling out. I have intuitive estimations but time and again those don't hold up to actual measured yield comparisons. I'll be sowing bigger patches this year, which may help-- I'm kind of in love with soft white wheat in bannock so I'm sourcing as many of those as I can, but they don't tend to do well northernly.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2021-12-28, 03:04:00 PM »
https://youtu.be/qD3r6KqlOa4

Short video I made, has the off peruvianum mentioned elsewhere along with some other fun stuff.

Actually made a channel dedicated to gardening and related things now.

Will post more when I start my actual garden plants. These are all to gain more seed or for indoor hybridization / experiments.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #12 on: 2022-07-10, 08:33:21 PM »
Just wandered around my upper garden with my phone taking a quick video. Nothing too detailed, just a roundup of the two fields.

https://youtu.be/Yx_a4lyQHfY