Author Topic: 2022 Tomato Growouts and breeding experiments ideas  (Read 137 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
2022 Tomato Growouts and breeding experiments ideas
« on: 2021-09-19, 12:15:25 PM »
Up front a disclaimer. I'm about to finish a second degree to teach science. So I'll be looking for a teaching job for 2022. That could radically curtail or change my plans for the 2022 garden season.

However for now based on my 2021 seed harvested here are some possibilities for 2022.

1. Grow out "found it", "is that a tomato?", "persimmon" the best flavored 2021 orange bicolor with exserted open flowers from Josephs promiscuous interspecies cross project in isolation and see if that amazing flavor comes back!

2. Grow out either a large grow out of MMS x BH F1 or if my four basement plants do well the F2 selected for potato leaves in search of a PL, blue, exserted, bicolor.

3. Grow LA 1410 Galapagense surrounding an exserted potato leaf.

4. Grow LA 2329 habrochaites with any hybrids of it I capture from the 2021 seeds of plants I interspersed it with.

5. Grow out any hybrids found in potato leaf seeds as they may segregate in fun ways. Though the PL MMS plant in the LA2329 crossing block could have hybridized with LA2329 or some domestics or promiscuous project plants. Any obvious F1 hybrids with LA 2329 will be planted in a row next to LA 2329.

6. Maybe grow direct seeded exserted PL red found this year as a direct seeded row? It could go in with the domestic PL X RL hybirds.

7. Grow lots of fun tomatoes from various lines I've saved seed from plus any other people's tomatoes that are just for fun etc in a slushy garden where out crossing can be less controlled.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-19, 12:21:15 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2022 Tomato Growouts and breeding experiments ideas
« Reply #1 on: 2021-09-19, 11:02:55 PM »
A lot of nice projects !

Integrate these in your science teachings ;)

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-09-20, 06:07:38 AM »
A lot of nice projects !

Integrate these in your science teachings ;)

That reminds me I need to plant a few seeds of Aztek a yellow micro dwarf to cross with the MMS x BH for growing with the students!
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #3 on: 2021-09-20, 06:26:28 PM »
I am going to be growing my plants / starting seeds in a heated room in 2022. In the past my plants were stunted due to the temperatures.

1. Will be growing a bunch of Pimpinellifolium x Habrochaites F3 indoors to select for the most exserted flowers.

2. Will grow out F4 Pimpinellifolium x Habrochaites and surround a plants with: Neandermato - other habrochaites, Galapagos Wild Tomato Minor Type 2 (Solanum galapagense), Galapagos Island Tomato Type 3 (Solanum cheesmanii), Island Sunrise Tomato, Chmielewsky's Wild Tomato, Wild Gem, Polar Star, Lutescent, Reisetomate, Woolly Kate, Wildling Panamorous.

Mostly wanting a cold hardy, small fruited / seeded promiscuous group at some point in the future. This could help with crosses to Peruvianum or some other closely related species.

I also want to create a breeding base - at some point I want to try out embryo rescue, having interesting traits in a population could lead to some fun results.

New / good flavors are also desired, as are ornamental traits that do not weaken the plant (white / chartreuse variegation in leaves). Interesting traits could be: Large White Flowers - Orange Anther Cones - Large Flower Petals, Wild-Introduced Calyxes, Fruit markings.

Also wanting to see how certain genes will react with each other - Island Sunrise Tomato x Reisetomate for example could look interesting.

Island Sunrise Tomato - Interesting Fruit genetic (Along with disease resistances) 

Lutescent - White flowers

Galapagos tomatoes - could have insect resistant traits along with salinity resistant genes - offspring will be doused with different levels of "saltwater"

Neandermato / Habrochaites - Highly attractive to bees, cold resistant, disease resistant, nice flowers

Chmielewsky's Wild Tomato - Has an odd "fish taste" - could create some interesting flavors with diverse hybrids

Reisetomate - Large amount of fused flowers

Polar Star - Sets fruit at 40F, other planted varieties could have the gene as well

Wild Gem - Interesting foliage, same growth habit as habrochaites, somewhat exserted flowers, very blight resistant

Woolly Kate - Blue fuzzy fruit, fuzzy foliage

Wildling Panamorous - Will cross exserted Pimpinellifolium x Habrochaites F4 plants with exserted Wildlings, along with any plants that have interesting flavors

Any other interesting plants may be used in separate experiments.

Currently growing S. neorickii and S. chmielewskii - I may attempt to cross these if all goes well - they are apparently very closely related. I would then try for an F2 - F3, crossing the most interesting offspring into the previously mentioned group. The S. chmielewskii that I have is exserted.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-10-02, 09:50:28 AM »
One addition might be to grow Iron Lady in the F2 surrounding an exserted bicolor potato leaf.

Another might be:

4. Grow LA 2329 habrochaites with any hybrids of it I capture from the 2021 seeds of plants I interspersed it with AND or R18
« Last Edit: 2021-10-02, 10:08:15 AM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2021-10-09, 07:50:21 AM »
It will be really interesting looking for hybrids next year. I'll plant community flats of seedlings and look for the ones with regular leaves from potato leaf mothers. The ones with exceptional hybrid vigour, and the habrochaites looking ones if any will be successfully fathered by LA2329.

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #6 on: 2021-10-09, 08:09:20 AM »
I have found a plant of canestrino di lucca extremly resistant at the bads conditions.He has grow at shadow but he measured above 2 meters and he is not sick and he has big flowers!
I hope the tomato will be mature for recuperate the seeds!

« Last Edit: 2021-10-09, 08:11:56 AM by Adrian »