Author Topic: Propagating Green Cacti Fruit  (Read 683 times)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Propagating Green Cacti Fruit
« on: 2018-11-06, 07:30:28 AM »
Not exactly seed saving,  but close enough i figure. Not exactly plant breeding on its own. Found this picture and idea in an old book recently and thought I'd share it.

I'm trying it out on one of those giant cactus fruits you can buy at the store now. Not sure what species as that affects ploidy number (a topic i will create soon). We will see if it works. If so, it could help get a jump start on starting from seed as this would grow faster. Cacti sure are interesting.

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
Re: Propagating Green Cacti Fruit
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-19, 05:06:51 AM »
Opuntia -  By coincidence a related question was raised just this evening on an Aussie board - are there spineless Opuntia available in the US? Burbank was cited as a source. Any variety names? Australian sources? (I doubt this - we spent a huge effort in obliterating the bloody thing)

I do have a fruiting cactus gifted to me by Rowan from HG, that is hanging on - I'm looking to propagate some insurance plants.
GM

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-19, 09:38:58 AM »
Opuntia -  By coincidence a related question was raised just this evening on an Aussie board - are there spineless Opuntia available in the US? Burbank was cited as a source. Any variety names? Australian sources? (I doubt this - we spent a huge effort in obliterating the bloody thing)

I do have a fruiting cactus gifted to me by Rowan from HG, that is hanging on - I'm looking to propagate some insurance plants.
GM

Yeah,  the Burbank one is nearly spineless as are the others if they are different from each other.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/Luther_Burbanks_Thornless_Opuntia_Prickly_Pear/all-fruit-plants

I tried buying that one once,  but I think It died outside once winter hit. I may try buying it again. I have two nearly spineless specimens that I have right now. One i think i got from Joseph when I requested some purple flowered opuntia. Bonus if it has both traits. The other one i ordered from Texas on etsy. It has also survived my winter.

I'm interested in nearly spineless and those with purple flowered rather than yellow.

esoteric_agriculture

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-04-09, 04:02:50 PM »
Opuntia -  By coincidence a related question was raised just this evening on an Aussie board - are there spineless Opuntia available in the US?

There are definitely multiple types of spineless Opuntia available in the USA. I have one type, but others exist. Ill look for a link.
Very deep mildly acidic clay loam with abundant sandstone and quartzite gravel and stones. Very high water table, Border of Koppen climate Oceanic and Humid Subtropical, USDA Zone 6b, very windy frost pocket valley at the foot of a lonely mountain, historic dairy and orchard county.

esoteric_agriculture

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-04-09, 04:07:25 PM »
https://the-cactus-man.myshopify.com/collections/opuntia

Over 100 different Opuntia, a fair few are spineless.
Very deep mildly acidic clay loam with abundant sandstone and quartzite gravel and stones. Very high water table, Border of Koppen climate Oceanic and Humid Subtropical, USDA Zone 6b, very windy frost pocket valley at the foot of a lonely mountain, historic dairy and orchard county.

Oxbow Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-10, 02:30:04 AM »
I think I'd love to see a Esoteric Agriculture Opuntia video!  Especially anything about growing ficus-indica as an annual etc. 

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-04-10, 04:49:39 AM »
The "spineless" ones in the pictures on that link look to me like they still have the tufts of little spines just not the big ones. Is that so? The little ones that get in your skin and stay are the ones I hate most.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-04-10, 09:35:10 AM »
The "spineless" ones in the pictures on that link look to me like they still have the tufts of little spines just not the big ones. Is that so? The little ones that get in your skin and stay are the ones I hate most.

Yeah,  i'm pretty sure that is the case. I don't think there are any glochid less ones available. Someday I hope the is a true spineless bioengineered cactus. Or cool hybrid with one of the tropical species.

They might still have less,  but there is no true spineless ones that are cold hardy from what I can tell. They are nearly-spineless
« Last Edit: 2019-04-10, 09:39:12 AM by Andrew Barney »

esoteric_agriculture

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-04-10, 10:06:16 AM »
As far as I am aware, the spineless Opuntia still all have the glochids. Those are definitely a literal pain, but are far less terrible than what some of the truly spiny types can inflict on people. Hey Oxbow, I may have to see if I can beg some O. ficus-indica cuttings from a friend. Hes got some giant plants in a greenhouse, Id think that a big cutting may work to produce nopal in one season- only one way to find out!

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-04-11, 04:57:05 AM »
I planted a bunch couple years ago on the state's hunting preserve about an hour hike from here, guess I should take a walk and see how they did. Some discarded chunks took root and are growing by the garden fence. I guess I'll keep them around for now at least. They are lovely plants but man they are mean.

Do the big spines act as triggers when touched looked at, to shoot the little ones at you or is that just my imagination?