Author Topic: multi-seed chickpeas?  (Read 411 times)

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
multi-seed chickpeas?
« on: 2021-08-21, 04:37:56 PM »

I think it was chickpeas I grew about 40 years ago, and never again.  One seed per pod. What a chore to get enough for a meal.

Are there any that produce pods with more seeds?
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: multi-seed chickpeas?
« Reply #1 on: 2021-08-21, 11:20:50 PM »
Not normally. Desi types, (the harder, brownish kind used in India to make Chickpea flour, and sold in Indian grocery stores as kala channa) can sometimes make two seeds in a pod, but even then, the two will be smushed up against each other.

I'm not even sure the wild chickpea has more than one seed per pod. And even if it does, they're too tiny to eat and  I have no idea where one would get seed for it.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2021-08-22, 11:00:55 PM »
Thanks.

I will just keep buying tins of chickpeas to make hummus.
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #3 on: 2021-08-23, 05:07:31 AM »
Diane there is a pea called Amplissimo that is touted as a substitute for chick peas.  I got them from Annapolis Seeds and grew them last year.  They were productive and reasonably early. The dried peas are a little smaller than a chick pea but there is certainly more than one per pod.  I think 6 was usual.

Some of the bush pea types produced a lot of one or two pea pods in the heat this year. I hadn't thought about the extra shelling work - just the low yield!  But the fewer peas per pod I guess the better suited to mass production methods.

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2021-08-24, 01:22:08 PM »
According to Witcombe et al, Genetic resources and their exploitation-Chickpeas, Faba beans and Lentils: Kabuli chickpeas have a range of seeds per pod of 0.1 to 3.1.
This implies that some chikpea pods contain at least 4 seeds.

I hope this motivates you to get your hands on this type of germplasm, would be nice to have this bred into commercial varieties!

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-08-24, 03:13:36 PM »
Now to find some seeds.  I'll go see if Whole Foods sells dried chickpeas. 

I've just re-read a bit of Carol Deppe's book The Tao of Vegetable Gardening where she wrote this about the Middle Eastern garbanzo landrace that she got from the USDA, and from which she bred Hannan Popbean:

"It was uniform for seed color, flavor, and the popping characteristic.  But there was variability for everything else.......... The number of seeds per pod varied from one to four, so seed size varied from tiny to much bigger. .............  I mass-selected for .. one or two big seeds per pod"

I have a couple of packets of Hannan Popbeans so I've just compared their size with the Desi and Black Kabuli seeds I bought from Saltspring Seeds.  The Hannans are a tiny bit smaller.  I certainly wouldn't want them any smaller if the size goes down as the number of seeds per pod goes up.

I'm used to the size of canned ones which must swell up when they are soaked and cooked.

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2021-08-24, 05:01:05 PM »
Try an Indian grocery store. I was at one today, and they tend to have bulk bags of both desi and kabuli type chickpeas, as well as green chickpeas (as of this point, I am unsure if green chickpeas are just chickpeas picked immature and dried in the shade [which is what I have heard] or there are legitimately green when mature ones, like there are for peas.)

Olaf Nurlif

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2021-11-05, 05:38:01 PM »
I once grew an italian chickpea variety called "Principe". I added it to one of my screenings out of  curiosity because I read that it was sometimes used as a "shelling chickpea" because it often produces 2 to three seeds per pod.
It's a kabuli variety with small to medium sized seeds and it grew terrible in my climate, as most kabulis do.
But maybe it's worth a try if you can obtain seeds!

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #8 on: 2021-11-11, 06:05:58 AM »
Fantastic new work on chick pea genetics makes it the best known of all crops to date.
https://phys.org/news/2021-11-largest-genome-sequencing-effort-yields.html