Author Topic: 2021 watermelons  (Read 246 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
2021 watermelons
« on: 2021-08-13, 10:37:12 PM »
We ate the second homegrown direct seeded watermelon tonight. It was ok. Seemed riper than the first one. Could be sweeter. Saved some seed. It like the first was from a bed I sort of sand hugelkultured this year. I think the deep sand is the ticket though. Probably going to make watermelon beds deeper in future. Probably was a Lofthouse but growing two baker creek varieties this yea as well.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
Re: 2021 watermelons
« Reply #1 on: 2021-08-15, 12:58:13 PM »
https://www.rareseeds.com/catalog/product/view/id/469/s/beni-kodama-watermelon/?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAjw9uKIBhA8EiwAYPUS3Eoht9ym42um6h1Ee7co7pqUPt-cPrfJ2mJfObLOqC1MgWPXlmhKGhoC3qQQAvD_BwE

Just ate my third watermelon of the year one of these Beni Kodamas it seemed decently sweet. Also direct seeded with loft house and Kaho also from Baker Creek. Saved seed. Should be a good addition to the grex. I need that yellow when ripe trait though!

Picked a second Beni Kodama today. The hugelculture sand  biochar experiment bed.

Also picked two Sugar Baby from a plant start from Walmart. Those were in a different garden. With the cucumbers. 

Will eat those later. 
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-08-16, 07:19:40 AM »
My melons this year were grown in an extremely survival of the fittest manner. Still some produced and a few are still finishing up ripening. Had a nice assortment of colors and shapes and all very tasty, even the ones I picked a little too soon had good flavor.

That little mini one you linked to sounds interesting as I am trying to breed mine to be small so they can be trellised. All mine this year were small enough for that but I think it was due to conditions rather than genetics.

That one on the Baker Creek web site isn't much to look at from the pictures but you say it tastes pretty good? I'm used to intensely flavored reds, pinks and yellows in the mix I have now and while I want them to be genetically smaller I don't want to contaminate my grex with inferior flavor. It also kooks to have rather large seeds. I find those we like best seem to have smaller, very dark seeds.

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2021-08-16, 07:49:25 AM »
If I can ever get enough seed that I can share, the Costa Rican Fine Rind I got from Joe Simcox's seed zoo would be perfect for trellising, as it doesn't produce fruits any bigger than a baseball (so maybe half a pound)

If that is TOO small, I have heard tell of another melon Joe found in New Guinea called the Limbang Midget that is a pound and a half.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-08-16, 06:26:17 PM »
I am not sure, I would rate it as almost as good as store bought and my four year old did not complain about second watermelon or Third. First I picked to early and he claimed that watermelons with seeds must just not be as good.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2021-08-18, 07:58:42 AM »
Almost as good as store bought? Thanks for the warning, don't think I want it's flowers anywhere near mine. I hope to eventually find genetically smaller ones but I'll just continue the looking for them at the old glacial slow pace of random chance.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-08-18, 06:35:52 PM »
Almost as good as store bought? Thanks for the warning, don't think I want it's flowers anywhere near mine. I hope to eventually find genetically smaller ones but I'll just continue the looking for them at the old glacial slow pace of random chance.

I'm not sure if that's a warning at all. That's about a 200% improvement over last year when the boy was dissapointed and preferred store bought. I reckon you could send me seed for watermelon you thought was fabulous and it wouldn't ripen here.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2021-08-20, 09:49:06 PM »
Ate the first of the watermelons from the Walmart plant
 Sugar Baby. It was good. My wife claimed it was as good as store bought. Saved a few seeds. Isolated it, not sure if it's early enough to direct seed here. Not sure if any more will be ripe this.weekend.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-27, 08:12:11 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2021-08-27, 08:13:52 PM »
Watermelon eating has been ongoing. Pretty good so far. Nothing at Reed's level but the little guy has found the last few acceptable. Want one of those orange ones to ripen.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2021-09-02, 04:24:49 PM »
Today the boy and I opened up a white one. Remniscent of Cream of Saskatchewan. Must have been good, he ate it well.

I was just thinking to myself "I should grow cream of Saskatchewan again". Now I guess I can just grow out these seeds I just saved again. Though who knows if any will be white next year.

Should grow some yellow ones too. Wonder if I have any yellow packets hanging around. Want yellow when ripe trait too. 

First one I thought would be orange was pink. Have some more possibilities chilling in the fridge.

Not sure if better than store bought is possible here but different colors and flavors are.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2021-09-03, 01:15:55 PM »
Just found a light yellow one it was very good, no complaints from the youngster. Still no orange Kaho melon.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2021-09-03, 08:03:17 PM »
Opened the big one. It was perfect. The kiddo was happy.