Author Topic: Seed Free Tomatoes  (Read 192 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Seed Free Tomatoes
« on: 2021-08-06, 01:34:54 PM »
I have a promiscuous project bicolor that had no seeds in its first ripe tomato.

Tomatoes like Siletz are known for that.

So the mystery just deepened. My unrelated MMS bicolor project I just processed a batch. Most tomatoes had no to few seeds. One had a normal amount.

We had a cold spring then a very abnormal heat wave of 90 degree days that interfered with fruit set.

My thought is that this is an environmental response to the heat wave?
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
Re: Seed Free Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: 2021-08-07, 03:55:58 AM »
Yup I have seen this in my greenhouse.  Some OPs or breeding lines will produce seedless fruit in the heat.
Those fruit are typically smaller than normal - sometimes quite a bit smaller - but they are edible and better than nothing.
I consider it a feature.
If you keep the plant alive, they'll produce seeded fruit when temperatures go down a bit. 
In the parthenocarpic types, I grew Siletz and Cold Set one year.  Cold Set produced seeds in all temperatures, but Siletz was seedless in the early fruit set at colder temperatures and only produced seeds in the later fruits that it set.