Author Topic: From my melon breeding program 'Pomona'  (Read 65 times)

rowan

• Southern Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Garden Larder
From my melon breeding program 'Pomona'
« on: 2018-11-03, 02:21:47 AM »
Just showing off the first release last year from my melon breeding program. This is 'Pomona' named after the Goddess of orchards and fruitful abundance.

One of the parents was seed from a melon from Turkey just named Green Bosnian. I grew it casually for many years but after some neglect, a bad growing season, and failure of all my hand pollination I ended up being left with only 5 crossed seeds. This was heartbreaking as it was my favourite melon - the vivid green flesh and outstandingly sweet but complex flavour I had never experienced in any other melon.

Anyway, I grew out those crossed seeds (no idea of the father) and spent a few years getting it as close to the original variety as I could but could never get back the colour and flavour just right. At least Pomona is a little easier to tell when ripe - the original was very difficult as it never changed colour or developed an obvious aroma as a ripeness indicator, and they don't slip. Pomona develops a whiter light netting and slight colour change when ripe. It tastes great but nothing compared to the original.

Here are pictures of Green Bosnian, and Pomona to compare.
--------------------------------
Garden Larder:  www.gardenlarder.com.au

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: From my melon breeding program 'Pomona'
« Reply #1 on: 2018-11-03, 03:49:29 AM »
Beautiful looking melon Rowan, even if it is a little less tasty than its green parent. I grew the last of my Green Bosnian last season in the same patch as Charentais, Lunéville and Sweet Freckles. I’ll be sowing a few saved seeds of each just to see what crosses appear.
Ray
Growing in slightly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
« Reply #2 on: 2018-11-03, 12:28:56 PM »
Ray, it was a while ago so I can't remember if I sent you seeds of Green Bosnian or Pomona (before I renamed it because it was obviously different from the parent. How did it grow for you?

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-11-03, 02:01:42 PM »
It was Green Bosnian. It did well but I found it very difficult to tell when it was ripe, something you’re very familiar with. I either picked them too early or way too late. Frustrating, I decided to just let it cross into a green-fleshed melon mix the seeds of which disappeared when I sold my previous place. I found the last few seeds of GB when I emptied some boxes so I threw them into my melon patch last season. Only got one plant but that’s fine for a mix.
Ray
Growing in slightly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #4 on: 2018-11-03, 03:10:55 PM »
It's a very appealing looking fruit.  Was apparent ripeness the only selection criterion or does it have other improvements?

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
« Reply #5 on: 2018-11-03, 05:24:17 PM »
The original parent definitely needed some sort of ripeness indicator which Pomona does have, though it does still take a little practice. As I mentioned I did try to select for the original flavour but just haven't been able to get there - though as it is the flavour is still great.