Author Topic: my tomato projects for the cool and fickle climate 2021  (Read 813 times)

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
Re: my tomato projects for the cool and fickle climate 2021
« Reply #30 on: 2021-09-11, 07:00:43 PM »
The Amish Yellowish-Orange Oxheart (tangerine) got crossed to another of the Rodney F5's, which as it happened threw a lot of heart shapes itself.  That might be a good thing since the AYOX was not dramatically heart shaped.  Both fruit are very meaty so I think it'll be a good solid fruit.  Will be looking for determinate tangerine, anything intermediate in size would be good for me.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #31 on: 2021-09-12, 07:57:11 AM »
Tremendous amount of work! Many years worth! Looks like it is paying off.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2021-09-12, 09:55:23 AM »
Thanks, William.  It has been a lot of years, and TBH the majority of the last decade have been miserably cold seasons, so selection has favored adaptation to that.  Meanwhile we almost forget the hot and humid part of "fickle" which we sure got this year in spades.
It turns out I wasn't the only one to suffer sunscald and ripening defects - the same also happened even in the greenhouse at the farm, which is a plastic glazing and generally a much more benign diffuse kind of light for the glaring sun we had this season.  Skipper Brown and most of the ORFI were worst, but some of my F1's were badly affected too, so I will need a few stinkin hot seasons down the road to select away from that.
I was really heartened to see that the selection in Rodney had cleared that weakness from the line.
My friend also reported that our standard tomato for enduring the works, Moravsky Div, simply perished in the conditions this year.  Hot and humid disease set is a different ball game, but I was shocked to hear of a MDiv fail.  That just goes to show how very different this year was from 'normal'.
I've also never seen a bunch of tomato plants ripen up and go down with foliage to stem disease so fast. You can pick off diseased leaves and they'll regrow fresh ones, but once the plant gives up on its stems it's time to cut off your fruit and put the remains in the compost.  This pic of the attrition stage outdoors maybe two weeks ago.   The brown Skipper, one of the ORFI and half of another one are gone.  Remaining with good stems and even some leaves, are Skipper pink in the middle and a Rodney on either end.  This kind of snapshot helps to remind me how the selection event 2021 went.

Vesa Tee

• Southern Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2021-09-12, 02:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the updates Steph, have to agree with William about the impressive work and achievements!  :) Your Skippers look lovely, pity if you have lost some disease resistance along the way. I would have expected the F7s to be pretty stable too already, makes me a bit nervous when thinking what to expect from my own crosses in the future. I suppose keeping the dominant traits is more difficult than one might expect when the recessives are hiding behind the curtains. :o

I am close to the end of the season too, we had the first frost already but now we are back to pretty warm weather again and the harvest continues. Not the easiest year weather wise, have to say.

I find tangerine with clear skin very pretty, and would recommend trying that if you have a chance, not sure why that combo is not more common. I would love to experiment with tt + gf + U too, but no such cross under work yet. Green flesh seem to keep also the shoulders green at ripe state which looks pretty cool at least with red background. I donít recall now seeing such combination with tangerine.

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2021-09-12, 03:14:46 PM »
Hi Vesa, thanks for the tip about tt and clear skin.  :) I guess there's likely to be some gf turning up in the AYOX cross so we'll see what that looks like.   I wasn't that crazy about the Beta/black combination orangey-brown color.  But I do think gf contributes to taste in a good way.  Maybe it's the extra taste intensity from converting extra chlorophyll in the dark shoulders?  IDK.  But even in F1's, if there's one gf allele I find it ups the taste considerably.  I do have a second tangerine line under way, that is the F1 of Datlo and Blk Nipper F2 which I grew for F2 seeds this summer, and will be a determinate cherry.  Not sure if the clear skin will turn up but I think it's possible the allele was still there from Black Cherry in the F2.

The gradual takedown of tomatoes was a blessing in disguise, as the season really wrapped up suddenly with a major hurricane strike two nights ago.  It would've been a nightmare to cut down all the plants or leave them out there loaded,  if they were slowly ripening their fruit as in a normal year.  I took the tarp off the roof of my tomato shelter and stashed some things behind it, and it was still standing the next day, which is great.  Still good for next year.  ;D