Author Topic: Are pink-podded peas possible?  (Read 1240 times)

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
Re: Are pink-podded peas possible?
« Reply #15 on: 2022-01-30, 12:11:39 PM »
I think I've already posted this on another thread: Michael Mazourek and Johanna Keigler (Cornell Universtiy) had a presentation about their pea breeding and pea biochemistry in general on the Culinary Breeding Network's YouTube channel (as part of the 2021 CBN Variety Showcase), where they also showed a picture of bb pink on yellow (among other combinations): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XYtAnv94U&t=4060s.

And here's a picture I took in the Arche Noah visitor's garden in Austria last year. It's progeny of one of a few purple × yellow crosses my colleagues made some years ago, not stable yet. It shows that a purple anthocyanin blush on a yellow background can appear quite pinkish.

J Hunch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2022-01-30, 09:28:19 PM »
Wow, great link! Looks like this cross has already been tried after all. It's so neat to see the results of layering various anthocyanin modifications on top of the different pod colors. Some really nice pinks in there. I'd love to have those pink-blushed yellow pods in a rainbow mix. Exciting!

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #17 on: 2022-02-02, 12:17:23 AM »
I'm quite confident that the "b" gene will modify the purple into a muted red color. In fact someone in England has already demonstrated this cross does work. I would need to do deep googling to find the blog post to show you.

Continuing this, I am am confident that the "b" gene in combination with a red podded line using the "gp" yellow podded gene underneath would come out similar to Rebsie Fairholm's original "peachy pod". I hope someday I or others can succeed in this. I think it would be wonderful.

The tendrils on my yellow and purple podded lines are both yellow and purple. Red lines have both. Can't remember if orange-pod does or not.

Still working on growing out attempted cross of orange-pod and yellow pod. If successful it could combine into a more golden yellow which could be very interesting with a red line. I think I may actually have some that have recombined with both and it seems slightly more yellowish,  but not as spectacular as I was hoping. Will not give up on it yet,  but not looking promising.

I have seeds for red-seeds (Biskopens hybrids), purple testa seeds (maybe the U gene?), and dark black seeds. Any or all of these crossed into a red podded line would look very cool. One of the Biskopens hybrids may have wrinkled seeds. A different Biskopens hybrid has purplish pods with umbellatum / crown pea traits.

Hoping my red podded line will turn out good this year. Only going to plant wrinkled seeds. F3? generation from my red (half-snap) line x Midnight Snow (my best tasting purple snow pea line).
« Last Edit: 2022-02-02, 12:19:05 AM by Andrew Barney »

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2022-02-02, 12:28:09 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance (it's not like I know everything about peas) but how could one get ghost marbling from that cross if neither parent has the marmorated trait? From what I have seen Biskopens seed is solid red, Tai Chung is solid white.

What do you mean by "ghost marbling"? Maybe I missed the picture. Like the seed pattern on "maple" peas? Biskopens is a maple marbled brown seed coat with heavy thick red testa on top. At least it seems to be. The biskopens red color is recessive.

Olaf Nurlif

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2022-02-02, 04:40:58 AM »
Still working on growing out attempted cross of orange-pod and yellow pod.

Could you tell me a bit more about the peas with orange pods? Me and a few friends thought about the idea a while ago but thought it may not be (easily) done.
Is it the orp gene?

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2022-02-02, 09:00:18 AM »
What do you mean by "ghost marbling"? Maybe I missed the picture. Like the seed pattern on "maple" peas? Biskopens is a maple marbled brown seed coat with heavy thick red testa on top. At least it seems to be. The biskopens red color is recessive.

Oh, then that would explain it.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2022-02-02, 08:14:27 PM »
Could you tell me a bit more about the peas with orange pods? Me and a few friends thought about the idea a while ago but thought it may not be (easily) done.
Is it the orp gene?

Yeah, the orp gene is the only orange pod gene I know of. I've only really seen it with green pods, the orange color develops over time and becomes fairly orange by the end of the pods growing life but is mostly seen on the inside of the pod with only some showing through the outside. The orange color may or may not be linked with fiber genes.

Im attempting to cross it with the gp gene to see if that combination produces anything worthwhile. So far nothing stands out, but hoping that homozygous for the orp gene might be different.

The gp gene seems to be the opposite where it fades in color over time. Though some like Greg Mueler from AU suspect there could be a modifier gene that allows some yellow podded lines to be a darker shade that does not fade.

https://openwetware.org/wiki/Pea_Database_Collaboration_Project/Orange-pod

Pod parchment and vascular bundles appear a strong orange. Viewed from outside the pod appears dull and discoloured. Orange also appearing in the phloem-xylem tissue of the stem. Interactions Pleiotrphy Complimentary Hypostatic

gene on chromosome 2.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-02, 08:18:56 PM by Andrew Barney »

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2022-02-02, 11:33:36 PM »
Think I found it. From Jay B and a few others inn the UK. SUGAR BETH F2 cross.

https://growingfoodsavingseeds.blogspot.com/2014/11/sugar-beth-f2.html