Author Topic: Tomato Journal  (Read 20626 times)

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
Re: Tomato Journal
« Reply #435 on: 2022-08-02, 06:41:23 PM »
We aren't quite sure what Exserted orange crossed to in Malcom's garden but it is Big Hill x unknown orange. Unknown orange might have been a wild or wild cross. It has acted like a full domestic since the F1 though.

Malcolm planted one Big Hill Surrounded by about ten Neandermato (Solanum habrochaites). Maybe around 10% of the offspring looked like archetypal hybrids between domestic and habrochaites.

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #436 on: 2022-08-02, 07:59:49 PM »
Hmm! I thought the story was more that they were very domestic looking, tasty, and orange in the F1? Leaving us wondering what else was in the garden?

My promiscuous x LA2329 F1 this year are interesting. They look a lot like LA2329 habrochaites but are darker green with a slightly different leaf shape. They are probably something like 5/8ths wild. I also learned from them that interspecies hybrid seedlings can be a little small and have a bit different cotyledon. Their 2021 promiscuous parent didn't taste great but was a bicolor descended from the 2020 plants that I think had Big Hill ancestry. I've already got fruit on (MMS x BH F2) fathered by them by deliberate cross or (MMS x BH F2) x (Promiscuous x LA2329 F1) which should be about 11/16th domestic. I also have a seedling that I thought initially was a wild LA2329 cross on Big Hill from 2021, and I planted it with the crossing block and it seems like it is growing up to be an ordinary Big Hill. I've also made a cross on that one with LA2329. When it ripens if it is orange who knows? Promiscuous was also in the LA2329 crossing block last year and it could be the father of the odd seedling from Big Hill that is the 2022 crossing block representative for Big Hill. So it might be orange and have crossed with promiscuous!

I have two types of first ripe tomatoes from MMS x Unk from the 2021 crossing block the possible fathers are Big Hill, Promiscuous, and Exserted Tiger. In retrospect I would have included Exserted Orange last year in the block but didn't because I didn't think it was ready- it was. This year I didn't because I wanted to use MMS x BH F2 or MMM F2. Anyway, my MMS x UNK are ripening up and I tend to think the smaller type is MMS x Exserted Tiger. The larger type I think I will have to cut open and taste to get a sense of who the father was. It looks like a bicolor beefsteak but both BH and Promiscuous were bicolor beefsteak types last year in the block. The little ones are either orange ripe reds or orange, but I suspect the former. Will let them ripen another day or two.

Edit: I just seed saved and ate the big one, and I think it is probably MMS x BH F1 with no or very limited sign of anthocyanin. An interesting tomato but not as interesting as potential MMS x ET or MMS x promiscuous as I already have that MMS x BH cross in the F2 with anthocyanin.

« Last Edit: 2022-08-02, 08:40:29 PM by William Schlegel »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William Schlegel

• View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
« Reply #437 on: 2022-08-05, 09:55:47 AM »
Just picked some tomatoes for seed. Notably got my first MMM F2 with blue skin and one of those from a plant I marked as exserted.

Exsertion with the extended heat of July and now August is now more common and more pronounced. Especially in MMS which earlier dissapointingly had none.

Just put 7 varieties in to ferment and put away 6 dried seed packets.

Figured out definitively enough for me that coyote = white currant. I suspected from some reading after I purchased the white currant packet and confirmed by taste and appearance today.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-05, 02:21:52 PM by William Schlegel »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 2022-08-05, 09:44:25 PM »
Just picked my first (MMM F1 x Aztek ) F1 and it was blue skinned! I will be saving every seed like that.

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #439 on: 2022-08-07, 05:26:18 AM »
When the days are under 15h i can note that my andine cornue normaly sensitive no longer have BER.

I have note that she is more easy than others tomatos to wintering at home.
This tomato is may more tolerant at the courts days.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-07, 05:33:15 AM by Adrian »

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #440 on: 2022-08-07, 10:42:59 AM »
I's funny, I have my exsertion in the early spring (cold and transplant stress?) and everyone else has it in the heat. I guess we just don't get hot enough here to stress anyone.

I took a cutting from pygmy into my aerogarden to be a mother for some crosses, it's been really fruitful in tiny youghurt pots so far.

Taiga on my deck was also flowering nicely so I emasculated two flowers and put lucinda pollen on one and sweet cheriette pollen on another. It's PL. Really looking forward to a taiga x lucinda even in the F1; lucinda is a much slower and scarcer bloomer than the parent silvery fir tree, but it does have that lovely folliage and the gwr fruit apparently (too early to know, for me), while taiga is early and a good bloomer (especially this individual!) and very tasty.

My uluru ochre, bundaberg rumball, and saucy mary dwarfs have put out a bunch of flowers. I should also take cuttings of them.

Trying to figure out my winter hydroponic setup. I put a couch downstairs where my grow shelves used to be, I think I need to sort a coffee table that's basically a slab of glass and lights over a bunch of hydro buckets of some kind down there. They will really drink the water when the stove goes on but that's probably ok. Then I'll have to start the winnowing process with my peppers and tomatoes. Can't believe I'm already thinking of fall.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 2022-08-07, 09:43:35 PM »
Just took seven tomato seeds out of fermentation and put seven back in. Have three more but some of them are too green still- blushing but not ripe. Also, it is bedtime.

Got a decent tomato harvest this weekend, some to share anyway. Not huge amounts yet.

However, this is likely to continue until frost!

I still have quite a lot of hand pollinated tomatoes I am waiting for ripening on. It is hard to wait. I did already harvest several that I was very pleased by. I have crosses with Sweet Cherriette and the two-disease resistant pimpinillifolium accessions already dried and put away. More on the vine as well. I made one attempt to cross The One and MMS/MMM again this weekend but forgot tags- reused one that failed. So didn't make more. I think it was cool enough this weekend to bother with. Finding a natural cross in that crossing block seems possible if I save enough seed from MMM F1. I think it will be more likely now that the bumble bees are more active. Still a confirmed hand pollination one way or the other or both would simplify my life in that regard!

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 2022-08-08, 09:00:47 PM »
Got seed fermenting from the first fruit of MMM F1 x Aztek. Fancy to think about these (and their half siblings) as they represent three crosses in my garden. I think next year 1/4 will segregate to dwarf some of those might be potato leaf, of those maybe half will be blue. How many of those will be bicolor and how many yellow? Yellow seems dominant so maybe 1/4 bicolor. Maybe I'll concentrate on dwarf and blue and then cross to something else for more probably a half or quarter sibling.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-08, 09:49:54 PM by William Schlegel »

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #443 on: 2022-08-09, 02:24:07 AM »
Wow i have never see a so big flowers!
This flower is of the variety teton de venus
« Last Edit: 2022-08-09, 03:26:28 AM by Adrian »

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #444 on: 2022-08-09, 10:24:19 AM »
My grocery store green cherry plants last year were fairly similar to each other, if the store fruit was an F1 they would have been the F2. This year, though, the F3 plants have quite different fruit: both cherries, one is amber and kinda boring, the other is pure green when ripe and tastes like fruity melon and also does not have that crispy quality last year's fruits had. I like it quite a bit, though it's nothing like the flavor of last year's fruit.

I wish I'd planted more of them now, I need to check the other plants from that seed mixed in my rows.

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: 2022-08-09, 12:48:44 PM »
I did some seed excising of some cherry tomatoes I got at the farmers market stand last night, and there were some WEIRD ones.

There were a trio that looked JUST like green grapes (not the sort of grape like ovals Green Grape and Thompson's Seedless Grape have, ACUTAL long pale green grapes.) Unfortunately, all of them proved seedless (full of tomato gel, but no seeds in the gel.)

Then there were the rock hard oval white/cream ones, which had plenty of seeds but no gel at all!  The seeds were totally bare. The actual fruit walls were also really firm for a tomato (like belly pepper/apple firm) and seemed sort of dry in texture (no juice created when sliced).

Randy Simmons

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: 2022-08-10, 08:56:01 AM »
Put my tomatoes from my MMS x BH plant in to ferment last week.  The plant had six tomatoes on it and two disappeared.  Of the four I put in to ferment only one had seeds.  So I'm pretty sure I have nine seeds.  I planted seeds for late season bucket tomatoes a few weeks ago.  Two or three weeks ago I planted six Brad F2 seeds in a coffee cup and three came up.  One died (my fault) and the other two are doing well.  I've started hardening them off.  One is potato leaf and one is regular leaf.  Hopefully I get a supply of  seeds from them for next year.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #447 on: 2022-08-10, 02:39:08 PM »
Did a zesty green (probably karma miracle) x sweet cheriette cross today. My balcony plants are not blooming as much as I'd like, the aspens have shaded it enough to be real trouble this year.

Planted some seeds for micros and some F1s to ease the transition into fall/winter, micros and some smaller experimental ones:

Blaue zimmertomate
Gold pearls
Aztec
Saved moment (breeding + checking for consistency)
Saved fat frog (breeding + checking for consistency)
Farthest north

Tarzantomate (gifted, I think this is F2?)
Vnochok
Gru vee

My F1s:
"heirloom" aerogarden micro x sweet baby jade
hardin's mini x sweet baby jade
sweet baby jade x hardin's mini

Also don't think uluru ochre is going to ripen fruit outside so I need to take a cutting and bring it in. Likewise Saucy Mary and Bundaberg Rumball. They were planted very late.

My lime green salad got its label lost so I haven't been able to capture it for crosses. It's a dwarf, so zesty green isn't a great stand-in, but honestly zesty green is pretty compact so I may try it anyhow.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #448 on: 2022-08-11, 02:00:58 PM »
Finally got my first ripe non-cherry from a bloom that set after planting. It's from the promiscuous block, a nice orange with slight green spots (it's next to the plant that had pale fruit with green speckles while sizing up; this fruit was a dark green as it sized up). Big blossoms, not exserted but with an open and slightly reflexed anther ring on the blossoms. I'm quite taken by these speckled fruit.

My peruvianums are blooming like mad but they're not setting fruit.

Lots of bumblebees on the tomato blossoms today.

I got bad news today, so I took the afternoon to do a bunch of tomato crosses. A couple were on pretty weird flowers - a lot of my blossoms are still looking very exserted. We will see what comes of it all. These are mostly in pots on my deck with the exception of uluru ochre and mikado black, so I can bring them in if they need to ripen. Growing out any F1s will be a decent winter project.

lucinda x minsk early
lucinda x taiga
Mikado black x minsk early
Silvery fir tree x taiga
Silvery fir tree x uluru ochre
Taiga   x mikado black
Taiga   x minsk early
Uluru ochre x mikado black
Zesty green x mikado black
Zesty green x minsk early
Zesty greenx uluru ochre
Minsk early x zesty green (weird flower & not emasculated properly)

I've been emasculating and then placing/taping the father's anther ring around the stigma for a couple days rather than trying to buzz-collect pollen (I am bad at that except for zesty green which just pumps it out). We'll see if any take.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2022-08-12, 05:00:42 PM »
So my central west garden where the MMS was last year is MMS and regular leaf dwarf tomato project tomatoes this year.

I think I just got a dwarf tomato from it. It might be a dwarf Johnson's cherry.

However, there is a lot to be said for breeding your own tomato varieties. MMS has been producing for at least three weekends now.