Author Topic: Tomato Journal  (Read 13991 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Tomato Journal
« Reply #165 on: 2022-01-18, 04:35:42 PM »
Put some more MMS x BH F1 will be the F2 seed in to ferment today. Put the first batch into packets. Three bicolor tomatoes from two plants and one anthocyanin and bicolor.

Some more sweet cherriette seeds have germinated.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2022-01-21, 07:22:38 PM »
Took the two little containers of tomato seed out of fermentation. The non-antho container didn't rinse as clean as usual though, probably should have left it another day. The antho container had well over 80 seeds in it- I stopped counting at 80. My guess is with the 79 from the first batch that will lead to more than forty seedlings with potato leaves. Should be more than enough for the isolation garden so some for the crossing blocks as well.

Anybody in the US want the non-antho seeds?

There is another non-antho bicolor ripening downstairs already.

Buds are getting bigger but no new flowers since the holiday trip yet. Probably too cold in the basement, but it is another warm winter here. Had some rain lately which is pretty warm for January. Still have some snow though, it hasn't all melted off.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2022-01-24, 08:40:00 PM »
Last batch of tomato seed dried fast. Found a second ripe tomato downstairs today. Should probably pick them though they are both non-antho mms x BH F1.

Flowers are starting to form on Aztek and MMS x BH F1 but I am not sure if the first two will line up alright for a cross pollination, but I think if they don't, I'll start picking off flowers one by one in till it lines up well and I'm able to emasculate one and get it crossed.

Wondering about cutting the three plants of non-antho MMS x BH way back still.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #168 on: 2022-01-25, 05:10:57 PM »
Cut back my Peruvianum specimens, including the "Off Peruvianum".

Flower buds were starting to develop - they were also leggy due my being away on vacation and not having lights on them.

Now there are shoots coming from the base of the plants. waited for them to grow enough - cut the leggy bits off today.

https://youtu.be/WoIKmB9GNpg

Video has some of the different leaf types. As I am growing these indoors, I selected these based on different leaf types or how fast they grew.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2022-01-26, 09:37:06 AM »
Cut back the three leggy and not blue MMS x BH F1 plants. Picked the two ripe tomatoes from those plants. The blue plant I'll allow to keep growing. The last tomato on the blue plant is showing color. I'll let it ripen longer and pick it soon then process the three tomatoes for seed in two batches as I did the two prior batches.

Aztek blossom is developing still but I'll probably pinch it off at some point. I want the ideal cross between blue MMS x BH F1 and it so I need simultaneous blooms on the two plants.

The LA1410 galapagense plant is starting to bush out a bit. The first germinating Sweet Cherriette plants have true leaves. 

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2022-01-26, 11:22:41 AM »
Planted seeds for Sweet Baby Jade, a couple micros, and Sweet Cherriette a few weeks ago but everything is moving very slowly indoors. I was hoping to do a couple winter crosses but time might be getting away from me. Regardless I'll throw a couple Mikado Black, Minsk Early, and that excellent green cherry in soil too for crosses. Maybe Ron's Carbon Copy too, I can't stop thinking about that one.

It occurs to me I could also test the uniformity coming out of some of my favourite promiscuous ones, I think I'll do that too.

I'm starting to think about summer crosses, beyond the normal trial. I'm generally thinking of my tomatoes in two categories: taste, and earliness. My trial sorted out earliness (which often comes with a well-behaved plant form) but I'm starting to put together which varieties I want to pull from for flavour. The list is still longer than practical. :)

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2022-01-30, 11:36:59 AM »
Put latest three tomatoes seeds into ferment. I suspect the antho tomato cup has another 50 plus seeds. In theory this brings me close to where I was last year with MMS. Thinking about calling this new strain Mission Mountain Morning or MMM for short.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2022-02-02, 09:00:11 PM »
Seeds are pretty dry from the latest batch. Won't be more for some time as out of green tomatoes. Pinched a few flowers off Aztec to give my preferred pollen donar plant the antho MMS x BH F1 aka MMM time to catch up. Watered everybody.

Got to 6 F this morning outside.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-02, 09:12:04 PM by William S. »

Randy Simmons

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: 2022-02-03, 11:59:49 AM »
William I am interested in the non antho seeds if you still have them.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2022-02-03, 04:55:28 PM »
William I am interested in the non antho seeds if you still have them.

PM me your address
« Last Edit: 2022-02-03, 10:01:46 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 2022-02-05, 07:01:52 PM »
I don't have any pollen but I emasculated two flowers anyway on my Aztek micro dwarf plant. Maybe just for practice, I don't know!

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2022-02-06, 09:33:03 AM »
Stigma and style didn't dry up over night so that is good. Still no availabe pollen though from the Antho mms x bh plant.

Thinking about pulling my non-Antho plants and using the pots for the sweet cherriette seedlings.

About 40 days out from seed starting season. I kind of want grow everything in my collection.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2022-02-11, 11:19:15 AM »
I clipped off the four non-antho MMS x BH F1 plants at potting soil level and transplanted in the Sweet Cherriette on top of them. Some of the sweet cherriette have good growth- hoping for a cross maybe even F1 seed in time for planting by May 15th but that is only a hope as indoor growing conditions are not great.

The lone remaining antho MMS x BH F1 plant is on the verge of blooming again after being cut back for the holidays. Probably doesn't hurt that it finally ripened all the fruits and has had awhile to recover. The blossoms are already to the stage where it would be good to emasculate them if they were to be the female parent. Maybe I should reconsider that route too.

The Aztec plants are blooming nicely I need to pinch off quite a few blossoms hoping to sync it with the MMS x BH F1 as the pollen parent. I might buzz them first and see if there is any pollen being produced- if so I may go the other way. I buzzed then I wondered if I wiped the pollen spoon properly, but not many flowers. Maybe I will try again in a few hours.

I should have grown a Solanum habrochaites just for the abundant pollen.

The lone LA1410 Solanum galapagense plant looks good but isn't blooming. I need to inspect it for tiny buds though. A note from my future self: couldn't find one.

Starting to count down the days to mass tomato seed starting.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-11, 11:56:00 AM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2022-02-11, 04:26:49 PM »
Well after multiple attempts I got some good pollen from Aztek. So I emasculated four of the MMS x BH F1 blossoms and dipped them. Hopefully I can repeat the dipping procedure for the next two to three days and will get good take.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #179 on: 2022-02-15, 01:31:53 PM »
I tried burying the stems of Exserted Orange, some of the others that I mentioned here awhile back.

Not a great idea apparently. This of course gave the plants a small bit of stress. And it attracted gnats, which decided to go after the new roots.

All but habrochaites seem to have rotted. Actually surprised that it did well with being buried...

Other tomato starts are doing fine, might move some into a colder room to slow their growth, as I don't have exserted orange to use a a female parent at the moment.

Removing the gnats from the room would be ideal as well. I do not want a bunch of them on my upcoming starts, it would be best to remove the problematic fellows from the room a few weeks in advance.

Some seedlings from random things have popped up in the large pot with gnats, might completely quarantine the thing to see what I have coming up.

Pretty sure one seedling is a Kangaroo apple.