Author Topic: Tomato Journal  (Read 3095 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Tomato Journal
« Reply #120 on: 2021-09-21, 10:02:08 PM »
Just decanted from fermentation and rinsed some Green Zebra seeds and put them on a paper plate to dry before bed. Tom Wagner told the story somewhere of his excitement at finding it for the first time some fifty plus years ago. I think we get to live that same moment every time we grow out an F2. Also a small portion of my garden survived this mornings frost.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Tomato Journal
« Reply #121 on: 2021-10-09, 08:09:26 AM »
Have a few late collections fermenting as of last night. Amongst them aready two of the most vexing of seedless tomatoes. No longer seedless.

This problem hit even my ~fully domestic MMS tomatoes. Though they recovered long ago.

There was one 3/4 domestic plant in the LA2329 crossing block. It finally set some seed at the end of the season. The seedless fruits tasted bad. It had open and exserted flowers. Hopefully the seeds will be hybrids! Hybrids with LA2329 that is though hybrids with other 3/4 domestic plants are also possible as might be selfing.

The final plant is a 3/4 domestic cherry tomato I called little pumpkins. Very tasty fruity flavor with closed inserted flowers and completely seedless till the very end and if there are five seeds I'll be surprised.

So seedless tomatoes may produce a few to a few hundred seeds eventually.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days