Author Topic: Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomato Project  (Read 2033 times)

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomato Project
« Reply #15 on: 2021-04-24, 04:07:52 PM »
bigger than a cherry, smaller than a standard slicer.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
« Reply #16 on: 2021-04-24, 04:52:10 PM »
What size is saladette size?

About 2 ounces.
Around 1.5" in diameter.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-24, 04:53:43 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #17 on: 2021-04-24, 07:12:21 PM »
One thing I wonder about is all the seed I saved from not isolated Big Hill in 2018 and 2019. There might be some interspecies hybrids in there.

I inherited a bulk bag of "compost" my wife rejected cause it is sort of a local ranchers quarantine gardening cash in project and honestly it's just ranch manure with weed seed in it. After helping her spread her replacement compost I spread it today in two lines. Going to put sand on that and then the 0.3 oz of bicolor and orange seed from this project will be my 2021 direct seeded rows hopefully tomorrow. I think it will work because I direct seeded the seed from the green wild type Big Hill x W4 seed I grew in 2019 in 2020 and it did great save for not producing any elites. Not sure about the quantity though. If it doesn't do both rows maybe I'll seed  some of that 2018 and 2019 Big Hill seed.

So I ran out of oomph after I got 80 feet covered in sand and seeded 4x. Another 70 foot row has compost may get it finished tomorrow or even next weekend. Plenty of seed in 0.3 oz for 160 feet of row. So probably won't be dipping into that 2018 and 2019 Big Hill seed. If I recall correctly 2019 Big Hill plants were right next to habrochaites and penellii hybrids.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-24, 07:48:58 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2021-04-28, 06:22:54 PM »
I sowed 25 seeds each of Q-series Panamorous and  Wildling Panamorous on April 24 and on April 28 I have 6 Wildling seedlings and 9 Qs.

In a warm spot inside, but that's where I sow all my tomatoes, and I have never had such quick germination before.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2021-04-28, 07:12:35 PM »
Got the second 80 foot row seeded.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2021-04-28, 07:46:21 PM »
LA2329 Solanum habrochaites grow out. Plan to grow them out in these big pots so I can bring them in in the fall. Bigger pots then TGRC uses but I tried to stick to their 3 per gallon rule for habrochaites (if I remembered it right).

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2021-06-05, 06:20:21 PM »
I direct seeded about an ounce of Wildling tomato seed today, into 12 row-feet. The flea beetles are likely to eat 99.9% of them. Maybe a few will survive. The Q series seed that I planted about 3 weeks ago germinated. The beetles are devouring the plants. And the weeds are awesome. I might intend to weed next week, and look more closely.

I also direct seeded S. peruvianum in the same field. (And eggplant, peppers, tobacco, and okra).

Direct seeding of everything is seeming more important to me. The direct seeded tomatillos are doing fine. They have been feral weeds here for about 20 years, so that's to be expected.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-05, 06:22:05 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2021-06-05, 09:27:20 PM »
I weeded close around all the promiscuous project transplants today in the promiscuous project block. Lost a few to frost and rodents but not too bad. Probably around 70 or more individuals edit: actually around 115.

The new experiment with direct seeding in sand over manure compost just has bad germination and maybe a few seedling predators such as flea beetles and one Colorado potato beetle. May only be a dozen or so plants and concentrated in certain areas.

The two rows I direct seeded in the area that grew corn in 2020 has normal though sand amended soil and I have better germination there. Lots of weeding to do. Should be a pretty dense population.

I still have ~5 plants in the greenhouse because they were or are still small.

Four plants are surviving of eight I planted with the LA2329 in a different garden after a rodent attack.

Then the XL red is in yet another garden. It is resprouting well after frost and several survived with top growth intact. Not sure exactly how many they are but five or more.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-06, 12:37:56 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2021-06-05, 10:25:31 PM »
Also I added the last bit of promiscuous orange and bicolor seed to some non-isolated Big Hill and Exserted Tiger I mixed. Then at the very end I dumped the seed in about three feet. That three feet is some very dense tomato seedlings. Probably did around 200 row feet of that mix. Will be interesting to see if anything intriguing shows up. Like a high percentage hab hybrid or strange large red tomatoes. Or yellow tomatoes with a blue blush.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2021-06-06, 10:17:49 AM »
 119 surviving transplant plants in the promiscuous block with 64 of those inside the new fence. Including 4 new transplants but not including the direct seeded seedlings.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-06, 03:36:01 PM by William S. »

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2021-06-09, 10:27:55 PM »
I planted out the lines with habrochaites cytoplasm today. I put them into an isolated garden, so that they won't pollinate the elite lines. I put anything with habrochaites cytoplasm into the same field: The rest of the original accessions, The back crosses, And the smallest of the Brad-F2 seeds. One of the smallest-F2 looks for all the world like Solanum habrochaites. Perhaps an observable xenia effect. The one plant out-competed the rest of the plants in the pot, but I planted them all out anyway, perhaps some of the others will start growing in the garden. 

I also planted out an isolated patch of S pennellii. I have one more patch of S pennellii to plant out in the next few days.

The most vigorous plants this year are descended from a 3 species hybrid [[lycopersicon x pennellii] x habrochaites].

Flirting with frost in 36 hours. Go figure....

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2021-06-09, 10:45:01 PM »
Low of 38F here expected Thursday night.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2021-06-10, 06:22:46 PM »
Low of 38F here expected Thursday night.

36 F out on the land tonight. Liable to be colder from recent experience. My wife is out there now releasing an insect she bought to eat mites. She promised to put buckets on the R18. I have the little guy who has been missing me.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2021-06-11, 08:59:49 AM »
286 direct seeded seedlings only 91 of those in the compost sand rows. Distribution bad on sand compost rows normally even in the rows that were corn on 2020. No frost but weather.gov said 34 F
« Last Edit: 2021-06-11, 01:25:19 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2021-06-12, 09:50:35 PM »
Got 80 feet of promiscuous row weeded. Probably the best of the four rows.  No annual nightshade and good germination. The annual nightshade in the other good germination row is making it hard to see seedlings.