Author Topic: Cucurbita lundelliana bridge  (Read 998 times)

Chance

• View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Cfa
  • Hardiness Zone: 7
Cucurbita lundelliana bridge
« on: 2021-03-17, 01:11:16 PM »
After some discussion in the interspecies squash thread I decided to try recreating some of the lundelliana hybrids.  Should be fun.  Just received some seed, germination rate is 20%, fairly typical for the species which requires either leaching, acid treatment, or seed coat removal to get better percentages.  It should be possible to achieve a population combining moschata, maxima, argyospermia, and pepo this way.  While it’s possible to make F1s that have some male fertility with ficifolia, according to Whitaker these are ultimately dead ends.

Chance

• View Profile
Re: Cucurbita lundelliana bridge
« Reply #1 on: 2021-04-24, 08:08:51 AM »
I followed a germination protocol for lundelliana, soaking 8 seed in water for 2 weeks, changing the water every 3 days.  Only 3 seed sank.  I should have kept soaking the others but I put them all in the tray on the heat mat.  Unfortunately of the 20 seed I received from the gene bank request, half were sent to a collaborator and got lost in the mail.  The first germination came up today.  Hoping for at least the other 2 seed that sank to sprout. 

I’m planning to develop this in a couple directions:

Borer resistant Goldini type squash—starting from lundelliana x tromboncino then crossing to Goldini or other drying type

Borer resistant ficifolia 

Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-05-07, 12:36:26 PM »
Update: 3 seedlings total so far out of 7.  The soaking must’ve worked.

Already growing are maximoss, ficifolia, mospermia, and tromboncino. 

Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2021-05-30, 06:52:33 PM »
Here is one of the three lundelliana seedlings (the cut leaf one), along with mospermia and ficifolia.  I’m excited what kind of potentials this wild squash will bring to a cross.  I can say so far that the roots are much deeper than domesticated squash of equal size.  This species used to range across the entire North American continent, dispersed by megafauna.  It is ancestral genetically also.  Hopefully the rabbits ease up a bit so I can make some crosses.
« Last Edit: 2021-05-30, 06:57:41 PM by Chance »

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #4 on: 2021-05-31, 12:01:11 AM »
Super hot peppers work well as a spray on leaves. Rabbits don't mind some of the mild pepper sprays.

I usually put moldy / expired greens, fruits etc into a small pile in the woods. Usually fruits which don't work with my lazy composting method. Rabbits stay over in that area and eventually get consumed by coyotes or dogs. Could try trapping them this way too as they get accustomed to the food being there / safe.

Looking forward to the results with lundelliana. Hopefully it grows well in your climate / area.

Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2021-05-31, 12:05:42 PM »
Good tips thanks.  If I can keep them away until the vines are bigger then they will be able to climb.  There are so many rabbits at this garden.

The person that grew it in NY got fruit, so it must not be too short day.  He did say he started it inside.  I did also, but it was 2 weeks of soaking then two weeks for germination.  I should be able to get fruits here.  Rabbits shouldn’t like them very much I guess.

Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-06-17, 07:21:29 PM »
Lundelliana is picking up but is being left in the dust by the domesticated cultivars.  I should’ve planted it a little bit further away because it could be outcompeted by them.  It seems like they put more resources into roots and less into above ground biomass compared to domesticates.  I think it will take off and hold it’s own.  Hopefully not too late though.