Author Topic: Indigo tomato alogamous???  (Read 85 times)

Adrian

• View Profile
Indigo tomato alogamous???
« on: 2021-03-02, 08:38:57 AM »
I have see an article who say that the blue rmtomato is alogamous.
She  would be able to hybrided with differents tomatos varieties.
What do you think?
The pineaple tomato was hybrided by a blue tomato and she is allogamous.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-02, 11:01:37 AM by Adrian »

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Indigo tomato alogamous???
« Reply #1 on: 2021-03-02, 12:50:17 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allogamy

No I think it is primarily autogamous.

If we think of a spectrum than Joseph Lofthouse is trying to make obligate outcrossing "promiscuous" tomatoes that should be 99% allogamous. Then there are the "occasionally outcrossing" tomatoes of Alan Kapuler. These we might get oh say 30% allogamous at best but still 70% autogamous. Blue tomatoes sometimes maybe they have finer pollen or maybe a little bit of exsertion of stigma like with the Kapuler tomatoes. But still probably at best 99% autogamous 1% allogamous. Still that is pretty good.

I did grow a seed crop in 2020 though and culled perhaps 20% of the variety for contamination. Maybe it looked to me possible that the hybrids if hybrids had one dose blue and were heterozygous for blue skin. If so that would be much better Allogamy or outcrossing evidence for blue tomato pollen being "invasive" as some in the tomato world have thought. If such an assertion could be proven I would work even harder at breeding blue promiscuous tomatoes myself though.

Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days