Author Topic: Do low temperatures results in bland tasting fruit in watermelon?  (Read 855 times)

atilgan

• View Profile
I grow gorgeous  watermelons and harvest them timely but they are bland tasting. So far only blacktail mountain, gift of sun and oganyok produced tasty watermelons for me. Daytime temperatures are okay but nighttime temperatures do not get reasonable until mid June. Could it be over watering. It is so dry with no humidity and they seem to struggle if I do not water every other day.

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
I thought so last year in my garden. This year I thought I would try some biochar at the soil surface to increase warmth absorption because I don't care for black plastic.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

atilgan

• View Profile
I honestly never think of using biochar to increase soil temperature. After searching internet I also found out that biochar is a good soil amenment and  serves as a fungisite.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
I think that water and cool temps both contribute to bland flavored watermelons. Too much water also seems to me, to make for mushy, unpleasant texture. They don't get as big in hot dry conditions but they taste like candy.

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, it would make sort of sense.  Watermelon's ancestors are are native to the dry savanna, so you'd expect them to be used to a hot dry environment.  It even sort of explains the mechanism for why excess water would make it bland. Watermelons are probably hard wired to suck up all the water they can quickly since in the wild they have to grab in the rains everything they need for the year, more or less.  Give them excess water, and it only makes sense they take too much in and dilute their sugars.

spacecase0

• View Profile
sometime I get a cool year and it does make the watermelons bland
late season ripening in the cool also does it,
smoke blotting out the sun making it cool also makes them bland.
I have not figured out how to fix the issue yet