Author Topic: Seed exchange platform, online  (Read 198 times)

Ocimum

• View Profile
Seed exchange platform, online
« on: 2018-10-11, 02:48:46 AM »
A useful tool for a hobby plant breeder as I am, are seed exchange platforms. The only not centralized one I know of is in French http://www.semeur.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Accueil

It works in a way that you can add a variety and say if you have it or want it. If you look for seeds of a plant, you can click on all the people who have seeds available, as well as a list of all the seeds they want. On each profile, you can look if the person has special requirements, like only sending seeds in winter, as well as the climatic zone for example.

The people managing the exchange platform semeur.fr sadly have a very centralised thinking, and only allowing varieties which are registered somewhere, as if it werenít the small-scale farmers who developed all the varieties till a few years ago.

The same kind of platform exists also for scionwood for grafters, https://www.fruitiers.net/ . They are going international and translating the platform into other languages. The website can also be used to understand the structure of the swapping.
Could OSPBF also host a platform like this, where each member can easily swap seeds, whether OP or inbred?
Maybe you could use the software from one of the websites, and adapt it?
Otherwise I have seen lists of plants of members, but it is completely useless if you have other things to do (like gardening) than spending the whole day on the internet.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Seed exchange platform, online
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-11, 12:20:31 PM »
This sounds cool,  and sounds like a form of Collaborative Plant Breeding, a term i have been hearing lately.  I actually think there might even be a few organizations like that popping up. Let's try and get a list going if we can.

https://www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org

https://dawson.horticulture.wisc.edu/chef-farmer-plant-breeder-collaboration/

Here are two that i found that sound interesting.  I have sort of known about the Experimental Farm network for awhile because of Facebook and a perrennial-corn project someone was working on using Zea diploperennis corn hybrids, or at least the goal. But other than that i know nothing. Anyone here know more about it?! It Sounds cool!

I generally try to avoid Facebook though,  so any non-facebook groups are more useful to me.

I already have about 4 or 5 people working with me or planning on working with me on my [Citron Melon X Domestic Watermelon] project in Denver, Montana, Germany, and Australia. But that is not through any official network except from Homegrown Goodness and personal invites and interest.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-11, 12:25:35 PM by Andrew Barney »

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-11, 03:37:37 PM »
sounds like a great idea!
"Maybe" said the farmer...

Oxbow Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-13, 05:42:22 AM »
I do like the idea of a seed exchange, possibly set up similarly to the way the scionwood exchanges are.  I think it could rapidly get very confusing without some kind of sophisticated collating of the available material though?  I'm on the North American Scion Exchange and even that list gets complicated fast, because you have to search individual posts for what each individual is listing for trade, and then figure out if they want something you have.  So it isn't very efficient. 

One think that I think might be potentially amazing for at least a few crops might be crop specific seed trains.  I have hugely benefitted from the Kenosha Potato Project seed train that has been running for the last few years.  A small flat rate box arrives filled with the most incredible diversity of potato germplasm, you take a little, and replace it with what you've saved and mail it on in a new flat rate box to the next person on the train. The value of the seed I've gotten is vastly more than the $7 it costs to ship it on.  I don't think it would be perfect for every crop, but at least certain ones maybe.  Tomatoes, corn, potatoes, peppers.  Put in your interesting seed and breeding material, and pull out interesting material from someone else' work?  It is amazing how efficiently ( in both cost and time) you can amass huge diversity with a seed train with the right individual on it.  The KPP train has proved that to me. 

Ocimum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-10-14, 01:12:50 PM »
... I think it could rapidly get very confusing without some kind of sophisticated collating of the available material though?  I'm on the North American Scion Exchange and even that list gets complicated fast, because you have to search individual posts for what each individual is listing for trade, and then figure out if they want something you have.  So it isn't very efficient. 

Please check the links I provided, it is really easy to navigate and search for what you are looking for. It is not a forum where everyone has a list of his crops and what he wants, it is a list of plants with the people who have it and the ones who want it.
Here an example of a tomato: http://www.semeur.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Tomate_white_currant
5 people have it (in green), 11 people want it (in blue). Then you can click on the name of someone who has it, and it lists what he has and what he wants.

If you click on member Ptite grenouille http://www.semeur.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Utilisateur:Ptite_grenouille&#collection
You see that he has 648 tomatoes available as of today (among other crops), and is looking for 23 other varieties.
This could be added to the forum as an extra, would be quite helpful for breeders. A sweet potato breeder could write he only offers seeds if he gets seeds in return, others may request other crops.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-10-17, 06:16:45 AM »
I am already sort of using collaboration breeding on one of my projects. But it would be cool to have a sort of Regional-ish way to help find people to trial new varieties. Maybe even a list of companies that are OSSI seed friendly (although i think that might be on the website already). Right now I've just been manually trying to set up my own network of compatible climates / areas with it sort of regionally based with a few outliers.