Author Topic: Our weather 2021  (Read 2171 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Re: Our weather 2021
« Reply #60 on: 2021-09-15, 07:17:06 PM »
Just looking at the link you posted, all the trees around here grow a plateroot system.
One tree that never blow over around the area is sequia giganteum
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #61 on: 2021-09-16, 08:01:17 PM »
The most frost prone parts of the gardens will likely get nipped tonight.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2021-09-17, 06:22:31 PM »
Was more than I expected that got nipped but in some ways a blessing with student teaching. The gardening and seed saving take too much of my time for student teaching.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #63 on: 2021-09-19, 09:54:32 AM »
No sign of an early frost here yet.  Temperatures have dropped to seasonal from time to time but overall remaining warmer than average by about 5 C.  High teens and low 20's C, sunnier than average, and calm, very little wind all week. 
I propped up several of the pea trellises where there are survivors after Larry, and ventured another late cross.  Not too worried since the early crosses are already in. Come if you will.   Tomatoes that were cut back in the greenhouse have put on a lot of blooms and set fruit already for round two.  It's just cool enough that the new growth could come on healthy now that the mildew season is (hopefully!) finally gone.  Potted up some purple sprouting broccoli in the greenhouse too, hoping to get some growth in before season end so they can produce in the spring.
We have another tropical system TS Odette on its way this evening with some torrential rain.  That should give everything a good soak.  Couple of cool days expected around the moon and then back to 'summer' temperatures for a few more.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2021-09-19, 06:54:40 PM »
Next likely frost here is Monday night / Tuesday morning. May set sprinkler on a few things again.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2021-09-20, 03:31:40 PM »
We are in an apparent shift of weather pattern. It's turned cooler, highs in 70s F instead of low 90s. Had about an inch of rain since last evening and the TV talker says we might get another three inches over next couple of days with lows for a night or two going into the 40s.

Last time it rained was about three weeks ago. We got about three inches then too but in just a couple hours so it mostly ended up in the river. I can tell this one is soaking in good cause the creek beds are still dry.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2021-09-20, 06:52:27 PM »
Next likely frost here is Monday night / Tuesday morning. May set sprinkler on a few things again.

Set the sprinklers on the habrochaites LA 2329 again.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #67 on: 2021-09-24, 04:11:46 PM »
I guess I spoke too soon since we are having our second frost advisory tonight for the week.  Never a lot of notice with these frost warnings.
In any case most things are done.  Moose came and ravaged the peas and ate my last cross.   Although today I noticed a few flowers coming again on the damaged plants.  Maybe the cool day revived them, but not sure how they would like an actual frost tonight.  The first one missed us so maybe the second one will too.