Author Topic: Our weather 2021  (Read 1781 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Our weather 2021
« Reply #45 on: 2021-08-24, 03:36:47 AM »
It's turned off hot and dry here. Not horrible hot, only in mid 90s F. Not all that uncomfortable either, especially since humidity is pretty low.  Used to be that anytime it got this warm here the humidity would always be high along with it. Amazing how fast things dry up, I can water A LOT and the next day can't tell I did it and the afternoon sun is intense. 

I feel kind of bad even mentioning it considering what's happening in the west. I just saw that a single of the fires there has scorched an area 17 time larger than the county where I live. I can also still turn on the faucet and water comes out, although my little pond has weeds growing in the bottom but it has been a seasonal pond for several years now. I'm thinking of investing in some tanks so I can fill them from it in early spring.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #46 on: 2021-08-24, 06:03:44 AM »
Frost warning this morning, 38F currently darn, well off to work. Hope the garden survives.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #47 on: 2021-08-24, 10:44:56 AM »
We dropped to 46F last night, but farmers in Central NL were under a frost warning.   Hope all survives, William.
We're in the 70's F with humidex in the 80's and into the 90's tomorrow, before dropping to 45F at night again on Wednesday.
All these waves of hot humid weather have made for a very different summer.  I guess it is the kind of summer to expect when we have years with very little sea ice, as this year.  They say it will be more frequent in future, but I'm not banking on a rapid repeat as there are surely some giant icecubes headed our way. :P  Anyway it's a sign to watch for when planning for the season.   

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #48 on: 2021-08-24, 12:07:13 PM »
The wheather is windy and the nights are between 10 and 13C and the days are between 19 and 23C.we will have those temperatures up to october
« Last Edit: 2021-08-24, 12:15:25 PM by Adrian »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2021-08-24, 06:21:14 PM »
Got minor damage similar to the August frost last year and I. Similar places. At least from reports as I have a few more days to work at my summer botany job before my final student teaching.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #50 on: 2021-08-26, 11:07:17 PM »
Last week of winter and the weather has been lovely and sunny, working on getting a tan while the sun is weak then I dont burn later as the sun takes on a bit more horsepower. Managed to sow quite a bit of seed - carrots, parsnip, skirret, salsify, root parsley, beetroot and celery. Frost tender plants need to spend two more months in the tunnelhouse yet.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #51 on: 2021-09-03, 11:40:52 PM »
I have see that the temperature is down at 5C at the greenhouse thermometer!
The weather is sunshining and we have 25C the day.
We will have a heatwave with days  temperatures up to 28C  and nights up to 17C the next week.It a thermometer mini/maxi.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-04, 05:08:03 AM by Adrian »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2021-09-11, 09:25:35 AM »
Got 1.2 inches of rain last night.

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2021-09-11, 10:34:04 AM »
Cat 1 hurricane last night.   A lot of things that you'd normally do in October, got done in a hurry yesterday.  No point in leaving those few tomatoes out there to ripen on the vine.  Plants cut, tarp removed from the top of the tomato shelter, etc.  The bare shelter, surprisingly enough, stayed up, but all the loaded pea trellises took a dive.  I expected it but what can you do, there's no prep that would've changed the outcome. 

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: 2021-09-15, 12:12:09 AM »
Spring time winds have been bad this year, had one gust come through at 155 kmph knocking over 80% of my shelter pine trees, I know now that this land is soft to hold up large trees, this and having a high water table meaning roots down go deep but instead they spread out flat over the surface. Now my garden is going to get blown inside out  :'(
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2021-09-15, 07:51:19 AM »
Sounds a tad windy for sure.

It's still weirdly dry here despite the good rain we had a couple weeks ago. This was the year of what's called the 17 year locusts. That is a locust species that comes out once every 17 years in huge and I do mean huge numbers. Although this year those numbers in my neighborhood was probably not more than 25% of what they were 17 years ago. Still the holes they leave in the ground have not closed back up so hopefully they provided a way for the rain, which came in one big downpour, to go in the ground rather than ending up in the river. On the other hand they may also provide a way for it to evaporate back out, who the heck knows? Neither of the recent hurricanes brought any water to us, they turned east too soon. It is looking a little cloudy outside right now. There was a great lightening show pre dawn this morning to too far away to even hear the thunder.

Post office tracking shows an international package left Chicago 11 days ago, who knows were it is now.  ;)

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: 2021-09-15, 02:35:19 PM »
Spring time winds have been bad this year, had one gust come through at 155 kmph knocking over 80% of my shelter pine trees, I know now that this land is soft to hold up large trees, this and having a high water table meaning roots DONT GO down deep but instead they spread out flat over the surface. Now my garden is going to get blown inside out  :'(
oops ::)

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2021-09-15, 04:53:43 PM »
We have the same problem here, Richard, due to the shallow soil and the root architecture of our native conifers.   Perhaps you should replace with a different tree species?   
Here's an article I found:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241277727_Structural_tree_root_research_in_New_Zealand_a_review
Mind you, there's always a risk of trees blowing down or snapping if the wind goes over 120 kph.  I was surprised not to lose any trees this time as Larry blew through with gusts in the 145 kph range here.   
I planted European Alders (Red Alder) here 30 years ago, with the thought that they may benefit the forest due to their different root architecture (deeper) and shared mycorrhizae.  They are now mature and as large as the native conifers around them.   The branches are not especially strong, they drop a lot of twigs and such in our storms, but nothing over an inch diameter came down, all I had to do was rake the small stuff out of the driveway. 
They are not bothered by flooding, although they don't like to grow in standing water.  But there are species that will grow deep roots even in your high water table, I believe.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: 2021-09-15, 06:44:00 PM »
Yes Steph Ive already started replanting where a few blew over this time last year, I'm allowing 10 m wide strip, 4 rows of different species, on the west side facing the wind will be the  https://www.nzpcn.org.nz/flora/species/cordyline-australis/ and https://www.ecosia.org/search?q=f%20Coprosma%20rugosa%20&addon=firefox&addonversion=4.0.4 both will grow together well, extremely hardy and will never blow. Second row in is Cupressus torulosa then two rows of Cedrus deodara. Spreading the wind pressure over a range of different height trees should make a huge difference instead of one single row 

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2021-09-15, 07:01:37 PM »
Good plan!  Nice looking trees too.  :)