Author Topic: Our weather 2021  (Read 128 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Our weather 2021
« on: 2021-01-10, 11:46:11 PM »
 Today was a overcast summers day, high of 17C - 62F, sunny tomorrow though with a predicted high of 25C - 77F
« Last Edit: 2021-01-11, 12:01:50 AM by Richard Watson »
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 9
Re: Our weather 2021
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-11, 05:09:51 AM »
We are having a weird summer in subtropical Australia, cool and damp and barely getting above 30 C on the warmest days. Nights are fairly cool as well. This means the cucurbits are off to a very slow start but should come through if February warms up. By comparison last year we hit over 40 C on the first day of spring (Sep 1) and had 6 months until the end of summer with virtually no rain. The milder year this season is lucky since I am growing out a big lot of diverse potato seedlings and they are doing really well (though it still seems to be too hot for seed to set).

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2021-01-11, 11:24:40 AM »
Its the same in NZ too, just pleasant temperatures in the low 20's C. Not having to pump water for the garden is not the norm for this time of year.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2021-01-11, 07:20:31 PM »
right now it is winter where I am in california
only 4 inches of rain for my winter season so far. (it does not rain here in the summer)
I might not have much of a garden the upcoming summer if this keeps up

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-01-11, 09:55:59 PM »
We are having a weird summer in subtropical Australia, cool and damp and barely getting above 30 C on the warmest days. Nights are fairly cool as well. This means the cucurbits are off to a very slow start but should come through if February warms up. By comparison last year we hit over 40 C on the first day of spring (Sep 1) and had 6 months until the end of summer with virtually no rain. The milder year this season is lucky since I am growing out a big lot of diverse potato seedlings and they are doing really well (though it still seems to be too hot for seed to set).

Is it cooling down at night? Mine set pretty easily, but it was a cool summer last year and looks to be again this year... Are you seeing the native bees around?

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 9
« Reply #5 on: 2021-01-11, 10:36:03 PM »
Steve1- We do have native banded bees that have pollinated potato previously. The nights cool down into 18-20 C, so not cool by many potato growing region standards. I have started hand pollinating but suspect with the warm nights I might be wasting my limited time.

Steve1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-01-12, 01:29:11 AM »
Steve1- We do have native banded bees that have pollinated potato previously. The nights cool down into 18-20 C, so not cool by many potato growing region standards. I have started hand pollinating but suspect with the warm nights I might be wasting my limited time.

Thinking about last year, I dont reckon any set early. I have a picture that shows lots at the end of March. Maybe just let them go. The blue banded bees will find them when they are ready.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2021-01-12, 11:57:48 AM »
This rather benign summer has certainly been great for potatoes, lots of bumblebees have insured the flowering and berry set is the best Ive seen for years
alps

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #8 on: 2021-01-14, 06:35:17 PM »
What a lovely sight, the potatoes!  :)
We've had a very mild winter so far with little snow, but there is some on the way tonight.
It is a huge contrast to last year's 20-yr snow maximum.  And welcome fwiw.
We are probably not short on precipitation overall, since there's been quite a bit of rain, but nothing excessive.  It is always disappointing that the warm days are windy and wet, and very scanty sunshine whether freeze or thaw.  We only seem to clear at night for those temperature inversions!  ::)