Author Topic: Bambarra Ground Nuts source  (Read 46 times)

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Bambarra Ground Nuts source
« on: 2020-11-14, 09:44:47 AM »
Hi all

I just though I should pass on a little source I managed to dig up. Someone on Etsy if offering half pound bags of Bambarra Groundnuts (Vigna subterrenea) https://www.etsy.com/listing/794295311/bambara-beans-12-oz-product-of-ghana?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1 from Ghana.

It seems like a lot of money but bear in mind that divided by how much you get, it's actually cheaper than buying them by the packet.

Also note that what you will get is not NEARLY as colorful as what it shown in the picture (I have no idea when the person got the picture) it's currently a typical mix , mostly solid whitish tan with a few eyed seeds and the odd brown one (I lucked out and got some Malian material that was a little more diverse, but that's all gone* ) 

*I DO have enough of the white Malian material to share a LITTLE, but bear in mind that the stuff was super buggy when I got it, and I'm still not sure all of the bugs are gone (I've  probably had to remove between 2/3 and 3/4 of the seed due to insect damage)

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bambarra Ground Nuts source
« Reply #1 on: 2020-11-14, 07:50:52 PM »
Theseedstead is selling Bambarra Nuts as well. Dunno about the variety.
They are also selling another type called Nzama Jugo Bean.
Might be nice for variety

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bambarra Ground Nuts source
« Reply #2 on: 2020-11-14, 07:58:22 PM »
It might indeed, especially since the Nzama seems to have the splotchy seed the Ghanian stuff does not.

One color I KNOW exists (but have yet to see anyone selling) is black.

Other places that have it are Sacred Succulents (they have brown, tan, and red)

Baker Creek HAD a speckled one they said was more day length neutral, but I don't know if they still do.