Author Topic: Germinating super old seeds  (Read 457 times)

WayneA

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Germinating super old seeds
« Reply #15 on: 2020-12-31, 06:04:48 AM »
Hoping to piggyback on this topic; my wife just found some dried bean seeds in a (very old) handbag whilst clearing an old cupboard. She thinks they are likely to be between 20 and 15 year's old, they're very dried and wrinkled and they may be her family's personal strain of beans from the Czech republic (the only explanation she can cook up is she must have put some in there whilst visiting in the early 2000s and forgot em.

Obviously big seeds like these are rather different to Joseph's toms; any hints or tips for giving them a go please (or is it beyond hope)?

Adrian

• View Profile
Re: Germinating super old seeds
« Reply #16 on: 2020-12-31, 02:26:43 PM »
You can try to sow one seed in pot at a temperature above 15C and toward a window. A grow-light can  help you.
The bean is a plant of long days, he prefer the days above 12 hours.
This seed will be sensitive at pythium, a drain soil is important for fight against this.
The last year i have try of old seeds of mungo beans. The seed has germinate but the cotyledons was stayed yellow, i have did the error to sow this seed in a room too cold (between 13 and 18C)and a potting soil too poor, it was of sand.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-01, 03:44:26 PM by Adrian »