Author Topic: Intermediate Wheatgrass (Thinopyrum intermedium)  (Read 81 times)

Ryan M Miller

• View Profile
    • Email
Intermediate Wheatgrass (Thinopyrum intermedium)
« on: 2020-11-10, 12:52:41 PM »
A while ago, I read an article on the domestication of intermediate wheatgrass Thinopyrum intermedium for use as a perennial grain crop. Given the fact that the project started in the 1980s and that this plant now has domesticated strains with reduced seed shattering and increased grain size, I've been suspicious that CRISPR technology may have been used. I found one article documenting a few details of the process here: (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1360138520300534). If anybody has any further information on this project, please let me know. I'm hoping that if the domestication process was done without direct gene editing that it could be replicated for other plants, especially other perennial grains.

Note: The parties involved in the domestication project for intermediate wheatgrass seem to have either pattented their strain or applied for PVP under the brand name Kernza. If their procedure does not use CRISPR, then I would prefer if the resulting cultivars from a newly domesticated plant were not pattented to avoid monopolies on the supply of that plant or legal disputes from accidental cross-pollinations.

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Intermediate Wheatgrass (Thinopyrum intermedium)
« Reply #1 on: 2020-11-10, 01:06:27 PM »
I very much doubt the land institute gene edited Kernza.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Ryan M Miller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-11-11, 06:41:45 PM »
Whatever techniques were used to accelerate the domestication of intermediate wheatgrass, I'm hoping I can apply them to other promising wild grains. I sure hope William Schlegel was right in assuming that no direct gene editing was used in the domestication programs.

Ryan M Miller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-11-14, 10:45:58 AM »
I found another article documenting the processes used in selection for intermediate wheatgrass grain:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325062446_Development_and_Evolution_of_an_Intermediate_Wheatgrass_Domestication_Program
The processes described in this article do not include direct gene manipulation. I'm hoping I can figure out how to adapt these methods for other promising wild cereal grains.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-11-14, 09:16:29 PM »
It's possible that different methods might be possible depending on the ploidy and the grass species, genera, and tribe involved.

Barley and wheat for example even though there is such a thing as aTriteohordeum intergeneric hybrid have very different breeding systems. I'd much rather breed Barley than wheat if I were doing anything particularly modern or fancy with one of them.

« Last Edit: 2020-11-14, 09:19:50 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Ryan M Miller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-11-15, 08:55:49 PM »
Given the fact that domesticated barley (Hordeum vulgare) is diploid unlike modern bread wheat (Triticum aestivum) which is hexaploid, I would also much rather prefer to work with barley rather than wheat. As far as I know, the wild grains I'm interested in domesticating using the methods employed by the Land Institute are diploid. This includes little barley (Hordeum pusillum), and maygrass (Phalaris caroliniana). Based on what little I know about genetics, it seems to be easier to breed diploid plants than polyploid plants

By the way, I found another article documenting the methods used by the Land Institute in developing intermediate wheatgrass as a perennial grain. The journal article mentions something called "genomic selection", but I will need to look into the term further to understand what it means or if I need formal training in genetics to understand how to use it. Thankfully, I plan on enrolling in a genetics program at my local community college this Spring. https://2hyzup3gkq37nm98l33j3iwt-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Frontiers-in-Plant-Science-2020-Crain.pdf