Author Topic: Phaselous Species / Crosses  (Read 293 times)

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
Phaselous Species / Crosses
« on: 2020-10-27, 11:10:18 PM »
Saw a few posts about Runner Beans, Domestic x Runners, Lima etc. Figured I would make a general thread, which would include any other phaseolus species as well. Uncommon types like Phaseolus maculatus and such could be mentioned here - "Attractive perennial trailing vines found in southwest NM, AZ and northern Mexico above 5000'. Peas-sized beans are brown and black variegated. The Tarahumara make a glue from plant parts to mend gourd containers.   The beans have also bean used as medicine, in fermentation, and as forage.  Seeds are traditionally toasted before eating."
 Phaseolus dumosus is cultivated in Guatemala, Wikipedia (Not the best site for info but it has sources on the page) mentions it is actually a Phaseolus coccineus x P. vulgaris hybrid - it is also described as "perennial to annual". A lot of these are probably day length sensitive. Quite a few Phaseolus species used by natives - foraged / cultivated. But I can't find any due to most of them only being grown by tribes, foraged etc. GRIN probably has some of them, but I don't know if they would send seed out without actual straightforward breeding purposes.
 Phaseolus angustissimus is a close relative of tepary beans. Interesting leaves on Phaseolus filiformis and Phaseolus grayanus. Phaseolus polystachios var. sinuatus looks odd as well. 
 Most of my beans rotted due to excess rain in the spring. I had some that I planted for ornamental reasons that did grow and produce seed. Believe I posted about them on Permies.
 Posting an image of some bought seeds / saved seed.
Bottom Row Starting from left: Santa Catalina - Sycamore Canyon - Blue speckled tepary - Phaseolus Polystachios(PMN) - Succotash bean - Scarlet Runner Bean
Top Left: Strophostyles helvula  Middle: Tepary Beans, unsure found jumbled on table Top Right: Unripe Runners

Posted smallest and largest types, along with off types. The two runner beans towards the right have a darker purple tint, the striping is somewhat blue compared to the others. Smallest of each variety are in the bottom row. The Santa Catalina are listed as one of Nativeseeds's smallest wild tepary beans - the leaves are quite different from cultivated types from what the images show on the site - very slender. Sycamore Canyon wild tepary is listed as one of the largest wild accessions they have. Both seem to vine more than cultivated types, also seem to require more scarification. Blue speckled tepary can't stand heat / humidity / drought. Phaseolus Polystachios from Prairiemoon is a perennial, haven't grown this one yet either.
 Most of these will be planted next year, possibly in pots due to day length sensitivity - allow for pods to mature, protect from excess rain etc. Vining tepary beans seem interesting, although they will have small beans/pods. I will probably buy some Lofthouse Tepary beans as well. Also some Limas from Southernexposure. Probably going to take a look at EFN's Polystachios if it comes back in stock - from my state so possibly decently adapted. Possibly Phaseolus maculatus from Nativeseeds if it returns - Covid panic buyers really hit their limited seed stocks hard from what I can tell.
 Will post images of the plants outdoors when I grow them next season. Any discussion about uses of unexplored Phaseolus species are welcome. Particular disease resistances or traits that these species have could be mentioned as well.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Phaselous Species / Crosses
« Reply #1 on: 2020-11-04, 12:43:03 PM »
Germinated some of these as a test, I haven't scarified beans prior to this. Everything seems to have went well - used sandpaper. Results: Teparies appreciated scarification. Didn't notice anything different from usual with the Phaselous Vulgaris - Succotash bean that I tested. As for the Runner beans - too much moisture got in due to the scarification from what I could tell. I haven't been able to get Phaseolus polystachios to germinate with the method - it rotted, probably too much moisture.
 The underipe beans that I planted all rotted. Which was expected.
 I have tried out Phaseolus polystachios a few years ago, but none germinated in the ground. Do they require any special treatment, germination go up after being exposed to colder temperatures?

Posting some images. Left is runner beans, middle is teparies, right is succotash bean (vulgaris). The Succotash bean is one of the off types that I saved this year. It also took awhile to ripen for a dry bean. Usually ripens faster for me. Most of the beans were pretty large compared to beans from other plants as well, also climbed quite a bit. Could have crossed with something I suppose. Didn't really focus too much on them this year, so I didn't even look at the flowers.

I put these all back in the pots, but they might not grow due to my disturbing them, which I don't care much about as this was just me doing a test.
First image was taken a day before the second. Only took the Runner bean back out to check out the root growth.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-04, 12:46:05 PM by Garrett Schantz »

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: BWk
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
« Reply #2 on: 2020-11-04, 04:22:10 PM »
When I first started growing tepary beans, about 5%-10% of the beans were "hard seed", meaning that if I soaked them in water, they wouldn't absorb it. I did a couple of generations of selection against that trait, and greatly minimized it's prevalence.

I haven't ever found a common bean with the "hard seed" trait.
List of places that carry my seeds is at: http://garden.lofthouse.com/seed-list.phtml

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-11-04, 05:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. I haven't worked much with beans.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-11-09, 11:15:02 AM »
First image is from Succotash bean. Seed / parent plant was off-type. The bean - now filled with water is quite large. I only harvested the off-types dry, so I did not know they were this large. Cotyledons coloration are off type as well. Size comparison between water filled succotash and runner is in an image above. Second image is from another off-type succotash, started this one earlier just as a germination test. Third image is from off-type runner parent. Took the outer layers off without damaging anything just for photos, they came off rather nicely.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-11-10, 01:38:12 PM »
Only one additional species is described in Cornucopia II: A Sourcebook of Edible Plants

P. metcalfei    Southwestern North America   Pea-sized beans are cooked and eaten.  Young pods also eaten. In parts of Mexico, the roots are used as a catalyst in the preparation of tesguino, an alcoholic beverage. 

but then I found lots more in a much older book:  Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World.  Dr. Sturtevant was director of the New York Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva, N.Y. until 1887.  The manuscript he left behind was edited in 1919 by U.P. Hedrick, and republished (but not altered) by Dover in 1972.

There are many pages on types of lima beans and common beans.

I will just copy information on uncommon species you did not mention.  I suspect that many might now be considered Vigna rather than Phaseolus.

P aconitifolius  East Indies  Moth Bean,  Turkish Gram  Does not twine. Cultivated in India primarily for feeding animals, but people also eat it.

P adenanthus  East Indies   Cultivated for its seeds.  A variety with edible roots occurs.

P. asellus  Chile  In cultivation by the natives of Chile before the conquest.  The bean is spherical and pulpy.

P. calcaratus  East Indies and Malay  Rice Bean  twining  Cultivated in India for its pulse.

P. caracalla  Tropics  Caracol, Snail-Flower  Large showy and sweet-scented flowers It seems doubtful if the pod or pulse is eaten.  [Monrovia sells it in the U.S.and mentions there is also a less-scented one called Vigna caracalla]

P. derasus  South America  The beans are used as a vegetable.

P. mungo  Tropical Asia  Mung Bean

P. pallar  Chile  The beans are half an inch long

P retusus Western North America and common on the prairies west of the Pecos.  The seeds are about the size of peas; when still green, they make an acceptable dish after thorough cooking.

P. trilobus  Asia and tropical Africa  Cultivated in several varieties for its seeds which are eaten by the poorer classes.

P. tuberosus  Cochin China  This bean has edible, tuberous roots.

« Last Edit: 2020-11-10, 01:50:45 PM by Diane Whitehead »
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-11-10, 05:19:23 PM »
I recognized P aconitifolius and P. mungo right away as I have grown them before. Both are Vigna, which as you mentioned they may have been reclassified to.
 The Phaselous species you listed that are apparently from Asia (India, China etc) stood out to me as well, the genus isn't found in Europe or Asia from what I can recall.

P.aconitifolius is now V. aconitifolia.
P. adenanthus is now V. adenantha from what I could find.
P. acellus, I can't find any notable information on.
P. calcaratus is now V. umbellata.
P. caracalla is either known as Cochliasanthus caracalla (Formerlly V. caracalla as well?) but is confused with a few other species.
P. derasus seems to be an "unresolved name" and I can't find any information on it except for the source that you mentioned. Could be an incorrect name, but I am unsure.
P. mungo is now V. mungo
P. pallar could be a synonym for P. lunatus
P. retusus appears to be a synonym of P. maculatus - possibly a subspecies
P. trilobus seems to be V. trilobata
P.tuberous could be Lathyrus tuberosus? V. vexillata and V. subterranea are possibilities, but they aren't really grown in China, especially true looking at the published date. Maybe Pachyrhizus erosus - Jicama, but it isn't native to China/Asia either. Psophocarpus tetragonolobus is a possibility as there are types with edible tubers, and records of them being used, found in: New Guinea, South/Southeast Asia.

While almost all of these turned out to be Vigna species, these could make an entire thread of their own. Quite a few of these are underutilized. Vigna and Phaseolus are related, with all of the different species within each genus there could be a possibility of crossing them in the future. Embryo rescue and the like may be required though. The uses being listed are quite nice as well. Assuming Dr. Sturtevant's information was formerly accurate and was altered later on or he just misidentified a bunch of things. The book seems interesting in its own right. Vigna and Phaseolus do look quite similar. Although flower structure and a few other things set them apart.  Adzuki beans (Vigna angularis) seem to be the best performing Vigna species in my climate. The "uncommon" Vigna species appear to be easier to obtain than Phaseolus species.

Any information on the wild Phaseolus species seems to be reports from early botanists learning uses from Native Americans, or from studies looking at resistances that could be transferred to P. vulgaris. 

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-12-06, 07:11:13 PM »
Update on some of the germ tests I did on the off type beans.
 First two images are the same runner bean from the previous images.
 The other two images  are from a smaller off type runner bean I found laying around from last year - seed coat had turned brown from laying out. The cotyledons among other things are odd.