Author Topic: Surprising epigenetic tomato research  (Read 136 times)

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surprising epigenetic tomato research
« on: 2020-10-22, 08:51:07 AM »
I found this article to be fascinating as I'm selecting for plants that grow productively in poor soil, heat, and drought.

Researchers Surprised After They Graft Tomato Plants With Epigenetically-Modified Rootstock
Novel grafted plants — consisting of rootstock epigenetically modified to “believe” it has been under stress — joined to an unmodified scion, or above-ground shoot, give rise to progeny that are more vigorous, productive, and resilient than the parental plants.

https://scitechdaily.com/researchers-surprised-after-they-graft-tomato-plants-with-epigenetically-modified-rootstock/

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Surprising epigenetic tomato research
« Reply #1 on: 2020-10-22, 09:34:42 AM »
35% increase in productivity is impressive.

I'm getting more and more successful volunteerism with tomatoes the further I get in my tomato breeding projects. The genetics and epigenetics have got to be adjusting to my climate.

Edit:
Though I greatly wonder how much stress it takes to stress a tomato plant to unlock epigenetics. It's hard to know if it's happened or not.
« Last Edit: 2020-10-22, 05:03:24 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days