Author Topic: Flint/Flour crossbreeding  (Read 69 times)

acxlll

• View Profile
Flint/Flour crossbreeding
« on: 2020-10-14, 12:40:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking to start a corn landrace that will be able to mature in our short season and northern latitude in Latvia.
Actually - make it 2 landraces - flint and flour for different uses.
I want to throw a lot of genetics together and then select the best survivors over time.

The question now is - to mix flour and flint or not to mix them in the initial planting?

I know it is relatively easy to select for a recessive trait, just eliminate everything that shows the dominant trait and eventually you will have the recessive ones only. So flint, which as far as I know is recessive, will be easy to select.

However, I don't really know how to best separate the flour corn out of the mix. There will always be a small percentage that carries the recessive flint gene and when crossing with another carrier will make the flint trait appear. So no matter how many years I replant floury kernels only, I will still get some flint. Right?
Does anyone have any strategies for selecting for a dominant trait?

Am I setting myself up for a headache by mixing both types together? Would it be better to start with two separate populations right away? (although there is no guarantee that my initial flour corn seed will not have recessive flint genes hidden within)