Author Topic: Watermelon Landrace (project update)  (Read 119 times)

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
Watermelon Landrace (project update)
« on: 2020-10-11, 01:06:07 PM »
I'm afraid I'm going to have to abandon the current population and start over. I mixed in Sugar Baby in the first generation, which I now realize was a mistake. Each year the melons are getting smaller, even though I've tried to keep seed only from the largest. This year every plant has soft-ball sized to palm sized melons when fully ripe. They're all following the Sugar Baby trait of late ripening as well. Most have ripened within the last two weeks.

Their drought tolerance is actually decreasing. The first few years I had plants survive and fruit on every other week watering (5 minutes) but those that have survived this year need watering at least once a week.

I suppose it might be the high UV, or different soil, but each year they seem to get smaller by several inches.

Sugar Baby needs lots of water, puts out male blossoms early with lots of pollen but fruits late. It also really doesn't taste that good. I'm afraid my whole population is aiming in that direction (even though the Sugar Baby coloring and seed size didn't survive the first generation).

All the fruits for the past few years have had the coloring and seed size of the Ali Baba.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Re: Watermelon Landrace (project update)
« Reply #1 on: 2020-10-11, 04:17:07 PM »
Aw, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-10-11, 05:45:01 PM »
I think I'll start with the Hopi Red, Jubilee, and my traditional (nameless) watermelon that I've always grown. All three fruit early and heavy, Hopi Red and Jubilee are drought tolerant, and my watermelon is fully acclimated to my yard.

I know what their growth habits are like, so maybe I can avoid the mistake of including something that doesn't fit. I'm sure I'll end up making other mistakes! :)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-10-12, 02:08:29 AM »
I got my watermelons out very late this year and am still harvesting them. Also had them in the back "survivor" garden where they got little care and not watered at all. All were small, under ten pounds and some very very small mostly because of growing conditions but they were all at least fairly good. Mostly pink/red and some yellows. A couple pink ones where kind of stringy inside and had very large seeds, I didn't keep them.

The pictures are my two favorites this year. The yellow one was fantastic flavor, just ate it a few days ago. The yellow/white one is a shocker. I found it just yesterday by accident with the lawn mower. I thought yuk, what is that nasty looking thing? But then I tasted it, wow, might be the best melon I ever tasted and it isn't even completely ripe I don't think. I put it on the tail gate of the truck while I finished mowing and a gang of delinquent tit-mouses stole some of the seeds.  I sure hope the ones I did get are mature enough to grow.

Ferdzy, I'm pretty sure most variation in mine originated from your seed or maybe from Joseph's. Do you ever get very white ones? That one was more white when first discovered, it had laid out in the sun a couple hours before I took the picture. Do those seeds look mature to you?

« Last Edit: 2020-10-12, 02:30:14 AM by reed »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-10-12, 07:14:31 AM »
Reed, I didn't grow a lot of it, but I think there may have been some Cream of Saskatchewan in there.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-10-12, 12:20:19 PM »
cool find!

Reed i think those seeds are mature enough. Just let them dry and they will turn more black-ish over time.