Author Topic: Seed or ovule culture contracting  (Read 188 times)

Chance

• View Profile
Seed or ovule culture contracting
« on: 2020-09-05, 12:13:14 PM »
To increase the chance of success in wide crosses itís necessary often to do ovule or embryo culture.  Reed for example did a bunch of pollinations just to get a few seed of Ipomoea batatas x pandurata.  They may not sprout but can probably be cultured.  What is the best way is amateur breeders can seek out tissue culturists to assist with this?

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seed or ovule culture contracting
« Reply #1 on: 2020-09-05, 01:11:00 PM »
Contact an agricultural university/college. If you aske enough people, you may get in touch with motivated students (term papers have to be written, and if it can be done for something useful many are happy)

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-09-06, 12:20:58 AM »
Amateur tissue culture is also possible.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #3 on: 2020-09-06, 07:58:37 PM »
Check out the book "Plants from Test Tubes."  It is an introduction to tissue culture with amateurs in mind.  You don't need a fancy lab (although it is nice).  I worked for several years using a glove box (a plastic bin with holes in the side for hands) and it was sufficient.  There are also some additives like Plant Preservative Mixture that help to keep media free of contamination when working in less than ideal circumstances.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-09-07, 03:30:24 AM »
Interesting stuff, assuming I get fully mature seeds from my hopefully crossed capsules I'll have to dig into it more. I know a couple people at Purdue University that might be able to direct me to someone who can help.

I don't remember right off if my last crossed seeds failed to sprout or if they died immediately after but they sure didn't grow.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-09-08, 12:25:49 AM »
http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/

I found Carol Stiff's info and materials very helpful. However it really took off when I got a small laminar flow hood from fungiperfecti.com

However I have found it impossible to even get out since becoming a parent.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days