Author Topic: Perennials and the OSSI Pledge  (Read 60 times)

Johann Kuntz

• View Profile
    • Email
Perennials and the OSSI Pledge
« on: 2020-09-01, 11:47:48 PM »
Perennial crops are my focus and although they may be reproduced and passed along by seed, often they are passed along in plant form rather than seed form.  The OSSI Pledge wording is great overall, but I feel it could be a little confusing when applied to perennials.  At my nursery I currently have some perennial kale which is of an OSSI pledged variety, but as I am not licensed as a seed distributor I only sell plants and not seeds.  If I list the official OSSI wording on my website page dedicated to said kale variety it could make customers think it's a listing for kale seeds rather than kale plants.

Original Pledge Wording:
"You have the freedom to use these OSSI- Pledged seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents or other means, and to include this Pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives."

Wording I'm currently using to avoid confusion:
"You have the freedom to use these OSSI-Pledged plants and their seeds/offspring in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents or other means, and to include this pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives."

I hope this minor alteration of wording I'm using is acceptable, but I'd like to know for sure.  I think eventually perennials will be a whole category within OSSI.

Daniel C.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Perennials and the OSSI Pledge
« Reply #1 on: 2020-09-02, 09:56:25 AM »
Perhaps "Seeds and other reproductive material"?

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
Re: Perennials and the OSSI Pledge
« Reply #2 on: 2020-09-02, 12:07:03 PM »
The board has discussed this a few times and always comes to the conclusion that "seed" is sufficient, even for other kinds of propagules, but, speaking only for myself, I don't see any reason why your change would be a problem.