Author Topic: Dominance of flower colours in phaseolus vulgaris  (Read 34 times)

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Dominance of flower colours in phaseolus vulgaris
« on: 2020-07-24, 04:56:10 PM »
A few years back, we found a cross between Blue Lake and Cherokee Trail of Tears beans. We have been growing them out, in the hopes of getting a bean that looks and tastes like Blue Lake, but has more resistance to anthracnose, like CToT. Early on, I realized that keeping track of which ones were which might be difficult, given that we are selecting for a resemblance to Blue Lake.

Fortunately, some of the resulting offspring had pink flowers, which I thought would be a good way to differentiate between the two strains. Half the seeds we planted this spring were collected from white flowered and purple flowered (which turn out to have purple pods) plants. The other half of the seeds we planted were collected from pink flowered plants, of which we had only 3 or 4 - maybe 5% of the total plants grown.

To my chagrin, of the approximately 60 seeds we planted that were collected from the pink flowered plants, it looks like 7 are going to have flowers in some shade of pink (no purples). Given that the pink flowers were relatively uncommon to start with, I was operating on the assumption that they were recessive, but plainly it's not that simple. You can get a stable pink-flower producing variety, because they exist. Can anyone explain to me, in fairly simple terms, what is happening here?

Edit: Okay, just went and tied pink string around pink flowering vines. There's 9 of them at this point.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-25, 07:42:47 AM by Ferdzy »