Author Topic: Looking for data on the liklihood of wide-crosses in the genus Silene  (Read 120 times)

Ellendra

• View Profile
I planted Silene capensis in my medicinal herbs garden a few years ago. I already had Silene latifolia growing wild, it's pretty much everywhere in this part of the country.

I'm now finding plants that look very much like S. capensis, growing quite a distance from my herbs garden. I'm trying to determine if they've been spreading, or if they're actually crossing with their wild relatives. So far I've only found one research paper on the subject, and it did not include S. capensis.

If I can't find anything, I might have to take samples and have them tested. I would love to learn that S. capensis is establishing itself outside my garden, but I don't know if a capensis x latifolia hybrid would have the same properties.

Anyone know where I might be able to find more research on the subject?
Harsh winters, high winds. Temps on the edge between zones 4 and 5. Steep, north-facing slope. Soil is high in clay and rocks. Fast draining, which is a surprise for clay soil. Indicates a sandy/gravelly layer underneath.