Author Topic: Pepo x Argyrosperma (Mixta) "Lotto"  (Read 3002 times)

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
Re: Pepo x Argyrosperma (Mixta) "Lotto"
« Reply #15 on: 2021-02-12, 07:59:54 AM »
Hi Chance; yes, I do. Mostly own/other people's seed grexes on the theme of butternut. There's Waltham in there of course, and Nutter Butter, and Pennsylvania Neck Pumpkin, and no doubt some others. We tend to just plant seeds from a few of the squashes that kept the best and still had some good flavour and texture.

I'm not going to attempt to cross them, I don't think, but they won't be so far from each other that it isn't a possibility.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #16 on: 2021-07-20, 07:19:36 PM »
Picked the first zucchini of the year from this project; also the first zucchini of the year, which is a good sign! Although realistically there was another that was no more than a day behind on the Mutabile plant.

The flavour was actually excellent! It was a little watery, but since we got 2 inches of rain a few days back I am not too worried about that. The plant is one of the largest and most robust of our zucchini, although not vining. There are 2 or 3 other plants from this project but they are all just starting to form their first fruits. There is one with green and yellow mottled fruit. Not sure who the other parent was for this specimen; it really looks a lot like the Lebanese White Bush from which it is descended.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #17 on: 2021-07-29, 07:58:50 PM »
Zucchini continue to come. We have one that is plainly a cross with Tatume, but it isn't very productive or interesting so far. There's another one, a bit nondescript, and then there's a YELLOW one, which is pumping them out like crazy!

It isn't as sweet as most zucchini, and has a distinctive, almost green beany flavour; we all like it quite a lot. I have attempted to cross it with itself to see if we can't get more like it next year. It's a bush, not a vine, but a nice robust one.

The last photo shows fruits from three out of what I believe are 4 plants; along with a Tatume at the top for comparison.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #18 on: 2021-07-31, 11:46:13 AM »
I picked the first 2 Reinau Gold zucchini today. They are the smaller ones in the photo. The other 2 are individuals 4 and 5 from the cross. As you can see, it is pretty certain Reinau Gold is the pollen parent of this cross. One first glance the cross is amazingly further along in productivity, but in fact I think that is not so clear. The Reinau Gold are are actually from 2 plants - I planted 2 seeds close together and didn't thin them, so they are probably holding each other back a bit.

The hybrid vigour of the cross is also not likely to continue quite so spectacularly in subsequent generations. Still, I'm kind of excited about this. I really hope the "self cross" takes.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #19 on: 2021-08-06, 05:15:42 AM »
So, bad news, and goo - well, making lemonade out of lemons.

We have vine borers this year.

We are growing maximas for the first time in a few years, and the borers absolutely love them and are decimating them. Fortunately, they seem uninterested in the butternuts. The zucchini are of more intermediate interest to them. The productive yellow cross is one of the few I've found a borer int - but it wasn't in the base of the plant, but in the base of a fruit. The other plants of the cross seem untouched at the moment. The Mutabile, Rond de Nice, and Costata Romanesco seem particularly susceptible amongst the zucchini.

I'm speculating that there are two different paths for susceptibility/resistance to vine borers. Let's call the first one chemical - does the plant have a scent and flavour that attracts or repels them? And the second is physical - does the plant have tough stems (in particular) that are hard to bore into?

In general I observe that plants that are particularly attractive to humans in terms of flavour are also often particularly attractive to pests: good flavour is universally recognized. So this plant is attractive to the borers in the chemical sense. The fact that I found a borer in the fruit but the base seems untouched suggests that it has chemical attraction but at least some physical resistance.

This is all wild speculation on my part. If there is anyone who can comment on these ideas, I'd love to hear it.