Author Topic: Ontario Gold Watermelon  (Read 89 times)

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Ontario Gold Watermelon
« on: 2020-06-20, 09:43:38 AM »
Since I've started the process of seeing if this can be registered with OSSI, I guess this is the place to post about what I'm calling Ontario Gold watermelon. Some of you may know that we've been crossing Golden Midget with other watermelons and growing out their offspring for a number of years now, and we are starting to have some good and consistent results. This is likely ((Golden Midget x Crimson sweet) x (Golden Midget x Grover Delaney)) F4. We planted 3 spots (2-3 seeds) of each of the 9 best watermelons from last year. Here's what they looked like a week ago - I think they are about 50% larger but otherwise look a lot like this now:

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ontario Gold Watermelon
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-21, 08:20:24 AM »
Good job. Excited for this project.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-07-08, 11:10:46 AM »
Noticed the first watermelon forming today. It's very hard to check because the vines are now so thick I have to really want to search for them, and I don't! It is so unspeakably hot. So far everything looking good, but for a few minor virus-spots which I am ignoring.

Bill, are you growing these? How are they doing?

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-07-08, 11:36:29 AM »
I'm convinced a lot of the weird colors and wonderful flavor in my melon mix originated from Ferdzy seeds. I don't worry about selecting for a particular color myself.  I have too much fun not knowing till I chop one open.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-07-08, 11:57:37 AM »
Ha, I'll tell Mr. Ferdzy. That was more his mix. I went down the rabbit hole chasing after the golden-when-ripe gene. He's looking forward to this project finishing and having a more eclectic mix again.