Author Topic: Phaseolus lunatus x polystachios  (Read 286 times)

Chance

• View Profile
Phaseolus lunatus x polystachios
« on: 2020-06-04, 07:06:03 PM »
This is an allopolyploid cross originally done in Florida in the 70s.  Last year a friend sent me four seeds.  The mother was Fordhook lima.  Iím still evaluating it, not sure if itís hardy in the ground but itís definitely perennial. .  Itís worth trying to cross it back to either parent, especially if unreduced gametes can be formed.

Polystachios in the left, lunastachyus right

Johann Kuntz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Phaseolus lunatus x polystachios
« Reply #1 on: 2020-09-01, 11:53:33 PM »
I'm interested to hear about whether the hybrid produces seed reliably or if it has any fertility issues.  I have a few P. polystachios seedlings at the moment and if they overwinter here I am interested in crossing them with P. lunatus as well provided there is some indication it would be worthwhile.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Phaseolus lunatus x polystachios
« Reply #2 on: 2020-09-02, 07:13:01 AM »
I have established patches of P. polystachios growing on my garden fences. They came from a friend in another state and when I first planted them I started some in a cold frame and some direct planted. The direct seeded did just as well as the transplanted ones.

Last fall I identified a large wild patch not far from my house, seeds in the local wild ones, while still quite small are noticeably larger and lighter color than those from North Carolina.  I got the the patch late and only collected abut 1/2 a cup or so, I'm keeping a better eye on them this year to try to make a bigger harvest.

My only attempts at crossing is to plant a single runner or lima bean plant to grow mingled with the P. polystachios in hopes it will just happen on it's own. A big obstacle to this seems to be that P. polystachios are very late to flower.

« Last Edit: 2020-09-02, 07:15:09 AM by reed »