Author Topic: Koppen climate subgroups?  (Read 165 times)

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
Koppen climate subgroups?
« on: 2020-05-29, 04:28:25 PM »
I am looking at ways of fostering global networks of plant collectors and breeders in similar climate zones. For example I live in subtropical east Australia but have found plants from south east Africa, south Brazil/Uruguay and the south east USA all adapt readily to my conditions (plus a few other smaller spots). These patterns show up in the Koppen climate classification map (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification).

So I am wondering if it is worth setting up some kind of structure on the group focused around the koppen zones, to help people share seed with compatible climates and also discover novel species they didnt realise had potential in their zone.
The distinct zones to my mind are:
1. Wet tropical
2. Seasonally dry tropical (monsoon/savannah)
3. Semiarid/arid hot
4. Semiarid/arid cold
5. Mediterranean
6. Humid subtropical (thats me!)
7. Oceanic/marine temperate
8. Humid continental temperate
9. Subarctic

Any ideas on whether this forum or any other platforms might be useful places to try and create such networks?

Chance

• View Profile
Re: Koppen climate subgroups?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-01, 02:15:04 PM »
This is a cool idea.  I hope it can be implemented some way.

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-06-01, 03:35:01 PM »
Any idea on how to ask the admins directly if it is possible to set something up along these lines? Maybe a subforum with a pinned post that has a master list of crops that people have direct success with in each zone?

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-06-03, 10:56:13 AM »
I am pretty much in the middle of california,
people say that I have a Mediterranean climate,
but I am also at some elevation, so I get cool nights, something that the valley below me does not get.
lots of people in the hills of the american south west have the same issue I do.
I get very dry all summer, but need plants to grow in spring and fall when it is wet and cold.
have been working on a few seeds for my area. but I am not sure how to classify what my climate is without a short description.

here is an example of what I have done.
took me 7 years to do it, but I now have a zucchini that grows from 32F to 115F, up to 40F day to night changes, wet or dry weather.
it can take anything I have ever seen, and they are large plants that are very productive. and produce about a month earlier than when I first started growing them here.
I wonder what they would do if they got sent to other climates.

anyway, I will help your project if I can

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-06-03, 03:19:14 PM »
Interesting climate- maybe somewhere between Mediterranean and cool semi-arid by the sounds of it. It really is amazing what can be achieved in a short time with breeding from diverse material.

As for organising this on the forum....I will ask Joseph Lofthouse directly soon to see what he thinks. I recall he was behind getting this going so he should be an admin.