Author Topic: Looking for seeds for a "cob melon"  (Read 316 times)

Ellendra

• View Profile
Looking for seeds for a "cob melon"
« on: 2020-04-26, 09:56:51 AM »
A friend-of-a-friend recently contacted me for help in locating a rare melon type. I've never even heard of it before, and my searches haven't turned up much. The only possible source I've found is a small company in Canada that won't ship to the US, and I can't get their website to work.

Does anyone else know of a source for cob melons? Or even any information about them? So far all I have is a brief mention in an Amy Goldman book. I searched using some of its other names ("snap melon", "phut", "Cucumis melo momordica") and that got me a little more information, but the only source that came back was an Etsy seller in India.

Any ideas?
Harsh winters, high winds. Temps on the edge between zones 4 and 5. Steep, north-facing slope. Soil is high in clay and rocks. Fast draining, which is a surprise for clay soil. Indicates a sandy/gravelly layer underneath.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for seeds for a "cob melon"
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-26, 03:03:19 PM »
the best i can do with only a brief internet search brings up this:

http://mandysgreenhouse.com/other-heirloom-veg-seed/muskmelon/

Cershownski – Given to a local seed company by Jake Rempel of Halbstadt, Manitoba. Family believes it came over from the southern part of the Ukraine via Jake’s mother’s family…Jacob Kehler & Kathrine Penner in July 1874. According to that author, believed to be a rare strain of the “cob melon”! The center of the melon is filled with a “cob-like” structure containing seeds, so it is easiest to cut around the melon lengthways against the core of seed, take the top half in one hand & the bottom half in the other and twist the 2 halves apart. This is how Jake’s family have been doing it for generations! Fruits average 8-9” long by 5-6” wide with mildly sweet flesh that is light green to cream in color. Quite rare says HHS. 85 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i-s-2SHfV8

It looks like Heritage Harvest Seed in Canada has the Cershownski. I assume this is the company you hinted at above as they no longer ship to the U.S. and have not for many years (which is a shame), they have a lot of really nice heirloom varieties not found many other places. They are the source of my 'Carouby de Maussane' Peas, before they stopped shipping here that is. You best bet might be to strike up a friendship / deal with someone who lives in Canada and can purchase them for you and then ship them on through customs.

https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/Cershownski-Melon-Seeds-p87261003
« Last Edit: 2020-04-26, 03:10:11 PM by Andrew Barney »

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-26, 08:46:58 PM »
I bought seeds for that years ago when it was still being shipped to the USA
could not get them to germinate...
never did try again.

still not sure if they were irradiated by the mail service or what happened

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-27, 05:43:40 AM »
A 'cob' watermelon may have a physiological rather than a genetic cause.

A few years ago I abandoned a watermelon patch of mixed varieties in a drought in July and August. September brought an abundance of rain and a vine in the patch greened up and stated growing. When I looked at it there was a small, oval watermelon. I let it grow till the 'knock, knock' test indicated it was ripe at about 6-8 lbs. I cut it open lengthwise and was astounded that all the seeds were in the center much like a cantaloupe. The thick flesh was red and sweet. I saved the seeds and most were infertile the next year. Those that grew had seeds that were normally placed for a watermelon.

Ellendra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-27, 10:46:55 AM »
Cob melons are a muskmelon category, not a watermelon. Interesting story, though!
Harsh winters, high winds. Temps on the edge between zones 4 and 5. Steep, north-facing slope. Soil is high in clay and rocks. Fast draining, which is a surprise for clay soil. Indicates a sandy/gravelly layer underneath.

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-28, 12:24:22 AM »
I dont get what is the point of cob melon special characteristic ? One can soup seeds out without using a spoon ? Or am i missing something ?