Author Topic: Hosta as vegetable  (Read 249 times)

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Hosta as vegetable
« on: 2020-04-20, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi,
after eating my first hosta dish from my new house, from an unknown variety, I am wondering if anyone is working on taste for hosta?

Ocimum

Johann Kuntz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hosta as vegetable
« Reply #1 on: 2020-09-02, 01:23:17 AM »
My gut tells me that the species forms most associated with use as a vegetable crop in Japan are likely used because they do have the best mix of flavor, texture, productivity, etc.  My current strategy has been to source non-hybrid cultivars of known vegetable species rather than complex hybrids.  I was able to source one clone each of H. fluctuans and H. montana this year, but have not yet been able to compare them (due to size) to the hybrid Hostas I've already eaten. 

On a related note: In terms of scaling up Hosta plant quantity once good edible selections are made, if you're growing pure species you can multiply them from seed even if you only have one clone as they apparently have a tendency towards self-pollination from what I've read.  While you can also grow out seed from hybrid types, the genetic recombination would result in too much variability unless selected over a few generations to produce a seed strain that comes true.