Author Topic: Capsaicin  (Read 125 times)

equant

• View Profile
Capsaicin
« on: 2018-10-29, 11:26:45 AM »
I've never bred hot peppers, and am curious.  How can I expect the traits for heat to show up.   Does the capsaicin show up in the seed produced from a cross, or do you have to wait for the F1 plant to grow fruit to determine the heat of a cross?

naiku

• View Profile
    • Nizhmuth
Re: Capsaicin
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-29, 05:01:49 PM »
I've heard that the F1 is supposed to be hot, but my crosses have been between sweet peppers and sweet peppers, or hot peppers and hot peppers (as far as I can tell).

Oxbow Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-29, 05:13:22 PM »
The seeds don't actually express any heat as far as I know.  All the heat in a pepper is produced by the maternal tissue, so there would not be any change in heat in the pepper containing the crossed seeds, they would be the normal heat of whatever the mother variety was.

Mike Jennings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-30, 10:22:09 AM »
I'm assuming that capsaicin production is a quantitative trait, which is why peppers have such a wide range of heat levels. I have read that a higher capsaicin level is dominant in crosses. So, a cross between sweet and hot will be hot in the F1, and will segregate out to roughly 75% hot; 25% sweet in the F2. I don't know if this ratio would be affected by the heat level of the hot pepper in the cross. I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I made some hot x sweet crosses this year, so I will have to report back.

I have noticed, that in crosses between 2 mildly spicy peppers, many F2 plants seem to be hotter than either of the original varieties. I don't totally understand why this happens. My guess is that perhaps there are some recessive genes that suppress capsaicin production to some extent, and these get turned off in the genetic recombination. I need to read up on this a little more.     :)

The capsaicin glands are in the placenta of the pepper fruit (the white part that the seeds are attached to). If you were to go into your hot pepper seed packets and start tasting the seeds, they would probably taste hot, but I think this is just because the capsaicin leaks onto them as the fruit ripens.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-30, 11:22:21 AM by Mike Jennings »

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
« Reply #4 on: 2018-10-31, 12:18:25 PM »
I'm assuming that capsaicin production is a quantitative trait, which is why peppers have such a wide range of heat levels. I have read that a higher capsaicin level is dominant in crosses. So, a cross between sweet and hot will be hot in the F1, and will segregate out to roughly 75% hot; 25% sweet in the F2. I don't know if this ratio would be affected by the heat level of the hot pepper in the cross. I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I made some hot x sweet crosses this year, so I will have to report back.

I have noticed, that in crosses between 2 mildly spicy peppers, many F2 plants seem to be hotter than either of the original varieties. I don't totally understand why this happens. My guess is that perhaps there are some recessive genes that suppress capsaicin production to some extent, and these get turned off in the genetic recombination. I need to read up on this a little more.     :)

The capsaicin glands are in the placenta of the pepper fruit (the white part that the seeds are attached to). If you were to go into your hot pepper seed packets and start tasting the seeds, they would probably taste hot, but I think this is just because the capsaicin leaks onto them as the fruit ripens.

Yes, heat is a quantitative trait, but I think you meant it's an "additive" one.

Without reading on the issue specifically, from the little I know of hot peppers, I must assume it's polygenic trait. It'd be hard to explain such wide variations otherwise.

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-11-02, 03:13:33 AM »
Yes, heat is a quantitative trait, but I think you meant it's an "additive" one.

Without reading on the issue specifically, from the little I know of hot peppers, I must assume it's polygenic trait. It'd be hard to explain such wide variations otherwise.

A polygenic trait is one explanation for some of the offspring being hotter than either parent.
Ray
Growing in slightly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:05:48 AM »
Given how wide the scoville ratings will vary, and there are stable varieties all across the board, I'd have a hard time seeing it even possible to not be based on polygenic traits.

If it was just one gene, you'd typically expect to have a cluster around the low value, the high value, and the middle value, at most, for codominant alleles. Or just two clusters otherwise, for recessive/dominant ones. But that's far from the case.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:54:21 PM »
New Mexico State University has an interesting article:   https://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/H237/welcome.html

Some points I find interesting:

There are more than 22 known capsaicinoids. The major ones, capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin, normally occur in the highest concentrations.
( I assume there will be genes for each of them.)

environmental factors such as temperature and water influence the heat level. A mild chile pepper cultivar bred for low levels of heat will become hotter when exposed to any type of stress in the field. Conversely, a relatively hot cultivar given optimal environmental conditions will become only moderately hot.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:27:31 PM »
I did an experimental cross with sweet pepper x hot pepper.
The F1 was slightly lower in heat, intermediate between the parents in size of the peppers.
The F2 (8 plants) had: 1 plant with no heat, 1 plant with almost no heat (I did not notice heat, but a fried who does not eat spicy food at all said 'it's hot!'), the other plants were noticeably hot in various levels but none reached the hot pepper parent plant. Size of the peppers was small to intermediate, none reached the size of the sweet pepper parent and two were almost as small as the hot pepper parent. Usually high numbers of seedlings are needed to find big ones. Getting size back is always most difficult and often requires back crossing at some point, especially when the parent varieties have a big size difference.
The F3 - F5 derived from the plant with no heat had only offspring that was not hot.

I didn't continue with it further, the flavour was just no good. Bad flavour is really hard to get rid of. I should have picked a better tasting hot pepper variety, just used that particular one for the cross because of its hardiness and low light requirements. It was worth a try.