Author Topic: Popcorn, genetics of popping  (Read 146 times)

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Popcorn, genetics of popping
« on: 2020-04-15, 05:25:44 AM »
Hi,

I came across popcorn which was crossed with a heirloom red polenta corn, as the cobs have some red kernels inside. I was thinking of keeping the red kernels, detasseling them and backcrossing with the popcorn, giving a 75% popcorn, half red. I was wondering how well this would be popping.
Any idea how well it would be usable for popcorn? or would it need more backcrossing?

Joseph, you bred popcorn, right? any idea?

Thanks for any leads

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Popcorn, genetics of popping
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-15, 05:29:58 AM »
Addition: the red corn is well adapted to the local conditions, way better than the available popcorn. That's why I'd like to use it as a parent or grandparent. And besides that, it is beautiful:
https://www.prospecierara.ch/pflanzen/sortenfinder/detail.html?tx_psrsortenfinder[showUid]=AZ-171

I also wonder if it may be worth it to grow out the F1, and start selecting for popping in F2.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-15, 04:48:48 PM »
My general experience is that you get out of a cross approximately what you put into it. You might try popping the polenta corn, to see if it already has some popping ability.

Landrace popcorn is one of those things where there are lots of variables that affect popping ability, and taste, so the further you stray from popcorn in the original crosses, the more work it is to re-select for good popping ability. (I crossed pop and flour. Ooops). It's a straight forward process.

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-16, 08:20:46 AM »
In your pop- flour- corn landrace, how was your initial mix, and how well did it pop in the first years? Is there still a lack of popping now?

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-16, 10:05:29 AM »
I was growing it originally as a decorative corn. It took about 3 generations to re-select for great popcorn. I was popping hundreds of cobs per year, and saving the best for replanting. After a while, it was obvious just by looking at them that some cobs would pop well, and others would pop poorly, so that reduced labor.

Oh, and by the way, just because people call something a popcorn, doesn't mean that it really is. For example, people call glass gem a popcorn, but only perhaps 5% of the kernels pop....