Author Topic: Naked Barley!  (Read 3450 times)

Ryan M Miller

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naked Barley!
« Reply #15 on: 2020-12-14, 02:48:05 PM »
I am currently attempting to grow the plant, little barley (Hordeum pusillum) as part of a larger project to grow out the lost crops of the Eastern Agricultural Complex of North America. One issue I'm currently facing with this plant is the way the chaff encloses the seeds. The outer husk clings so tightly to the seeds that it is impossible to completely free the seed from the chaff without specialized dehulling equipment. The chaff adheres even more tightly than the husk surrounding einkorn wheat grains.

This plant would definitely benefit from the existence of naked cultivars found in common barley. If anyone growing this lost crop finds such a trait in the plant, please let me know.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #16 on: 2021-01-28, 01:17:14 PM »
In the end I didn't get the Faust planted, so will try it this spring.  I got another one on the way, Arabian Blue.  They are quite different looking since Faust is awnless and not blue.  I probably wouldn't get much crossing anyway in my downright wet climate, but I should easily notice any crosses - if I get any grain to replant.
From what I've been reading, hulless barley is especially popular with critters as it is with humans. ::)
Some people had success using garden netting over the heads when the time comes.
Another guy brought them indoors to dry at milk stage and said they ripened on the stalk.

If I don't get the harvest again this year, I might try a hulled variety.  Just out of spite.  :P

shucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2021-02-03, 07:57:09 PM »
... We also got Dango Mugi and Valsergerste from Great Lakes Staple Seeds. These are both described as golden barleys but they are quite brown in comparison to the Lawina. However, in addition to being only 2 row, I gather that Lawina is not the most reliable variety around. And finally, we got some "Special Mix Hulless Barley" from Prairie Garden Seeds. They tend towards the greyish-brownish, although there are some lighter ones.

Hello,

I've updated the Dango Mugi's description from "golden" to "golden brown" as you noticed.

Another things we've done is categorized them subjectively by their hull attribute, 2-row/6-row and spring/fall planting: 

Without Hulls
https://greatlakesstapleseeds.com/collections/barley-without-hulls

With Some Hulls
https://greatlakesstapleseeds.com/collections/barley-with-some-hulls

Hulled
https://greatlakesstapleseeds.com/collections/barley-with-hulls

Scott

« Last Edit: 2021-02-03, 08:00:31 PM by shucker »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
« Reply #18 on: 2021-02-04, 02:53:44 PM »
Hello, Scott. Gosh! Didn't expect to have such an effect... !

I've been meaning to get off by duff and cook some of the barley. Okay, it's on the menu for later this week. I cooked some in the rice cooker and found it does not cook like the stuff from the store at all (takes much longer). However, I think the Instant pot will do the trick.

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2021-06-11, 11:34:40 AM »
Nice to see that the peas, sunflowers and barley planted last week have survived the extreme heat followed by frost and 2 cm of snow last night.  The Arabian Blue I sowed first came up in 4 days under row cover, then got uncovered before the big heat etc.  There are a few plants keeled over but otherwise all green looking and alright, which is impressive considering such extremes within the first days of being up.  The second patch with Arabian Blue and Faust is still under row cover and maybe not through the ground yet, but I was happy to see those green sunflower cotyledons and pea shoots still pushing up. 

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2021-08-26, 10:14:59 AM »
Well this is my report for naked barley in 2021.   How did yours do, Ferdzy?
Moose sampled barley in the boot stage and preferred Faust (awnless) which it continued to nibble.
The Faust incidentally looks a bit like an orchid when it flowers.  Very nice.
All of the barleys lodged really badly on a stormy day.    Strike one. The bigger patch of Arabian Blue went flat to the ground.  Others somewhat trapped by fence.
Heads filled beautifully in spite of that, and began to ripen with nice colors.
A few days ago I thought I should try to tie up the AB before a rain.  Taking a long time for the peduncle to turn brown.  So I tied them up in bunches, and then noticed that many heads were missing.  All that were close to the ground were straws without heads.  A few awns scattered singly on ground.   Same in the second bed, whatever had lodged was now headless..  So some unknown animal was harvesting before ripe.
Still I thought I should leave them for the dark green peduncles to turn. Mistake, obviously.   Nearly all Arabian Blue heads gone this morning, so I snipped what was left.  Four scrawny heads, passed over by a probable rodent.   :-[
 I  snipped the most mature handful of heads from the other bed, taking whole green plants.  No idea if they will mature or not but I thought I will get my little share in advance, since whatever animal is out there clearly isn't waiting for the color of the stalks.
The verdict:  (a) naked barley is not worth growing as a crop here.   
(b) Naked barley may be planted to enhance wildlife habitat.  :P ::)  or as a trap crop to distract from other crops?   verdict pending.